not swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not swimming

I know that exercise is important and that swimming is a great one because it works out the whole body and it doesn’t hurt the joints. The thing is, to do it, you obviously need a swimming pool. I can only get to a pool around once a week at the most.

So aside from swimming what’s the next best thing if I want to be able to work out my whole body get good cardio, and not bust up my knees and back?

have you considered one of those home gyms that helps you to work out your entire body like the bowflex or something like that?

Comment

I know what you mean about not having a pool that you can just use whenever you want. I would have to say a brisk walk (where you swing your arms and get your heart rate up) is great in terms of cardio and working your body. Strength training and yoga are also good. It's really hard to achieve the full benefits that swimming provides, especially if you are aiming to achieve this through one activity or as few as possible. Really good question.

Pamela Poison - what is the bowflex?

Comment

Hmmmm, that's a really good question and hard one to answer MadMike. I'd have to agree with MeSarah and say that the only way you may obtain the positive results from swimming is by doing a variety of different exercises, such as walking and simple strength training techniques. I think if I were you I'd talk to a trainer or some other exercise pro who could educate you about the exercises you're looking for that won't hurt your knees and back, and then show you how to perform them properly.

Comment

You could try using one of those ski machines or other equipment at the gym that uses a gliding motion instead of motions where you put pressure on the joints like when your foot connects with the ground as you run. Make sure that you have very good shoes. That could make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by MeSarah View Post
            Pamela Poison - what is the bowflex?
            A bowflex is this giant home gym contraption. It costs a small fortune but it works out pretty much every part of your body and is very adjustable to your current fitness level. It's crazy looking but it's really good.

Comment

Working...
            X