Are warm ups healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are warm ups healthy?

I'm reading a lot of conflicting information about warmups and whether or not they're good for you before you do a workout. I was raised thinking that they're good for you but I can't tell if that's the case or not based on newer readings. Does anyone know?

You should always warm up your body before you work out. It gives your muscles the chance to stretch before you suddenly use them in ways that you don't typically do. You are less likely to injure yourself when your body is properly warmed up. Think of it this way. If you've been sitting all day and you suddenly decide you want to go for a run, it's better to walk first before you take off in a full blown run.Warming up prepares your body for a more intense workout and also increase your stamina. Cold muscles can seize up.

Comment

Stick to what you thought, because you were raised well, TammyBear. Warming up your body is vital. As TroyBurger has pointed out, you shouldn't engage in your workout or fitness routine with cold muscles. It increases your risk of injuring muscles, joints and ligaments. It is better to stretch first. If you are engaging in cardio or other intense exercises that will get your heartbeat racing it's also important to do a cool down. I made the mistake of running once and not cooling down afterwards and I felt sick for good 20 minutes.

Comment

Don’t listen to anything or anyone that tells you that warm ups are not good for you. They are very good for you and essential if you want to avoid increasing your risk of injury when exercising.

Comment

Warm ups are a good idea to get blood flowing to the muscles. Just don't overstretch. You can hurt yourself from that, too

Comment

warm ups are good, it's stretching where you need to be very careful

Comment

They are good and shouldn't be skipped, but as KraftMan and 2strikes pointed out, you need to be careful with stretching. Take it slow and listen to your body. Exercising - even warmups - shouldn't hurt. Equally, don't spend the better part of your workout warming up. 5 - 10 minutes is often enough.Take it slow.

Comment

Working...
              X