Yoga fat burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga fat burning

I go to a pretty intense yoga class and we sweat a lot. Does that make it any level of cardio or fat burning?

I would guess it's not cardio but it is a type of fat burning in the same way that lifting weights can help you burn fat. I think cardio require a lot more physical activity and continual movement like walking, jogging, running, cycling, swimming, that sort of thing.

Comment

It's not cardio, but some version of yoga, that are a little more intense like Power Yoga can make you sweat. That said, all versions of Yoga can help you burn fat by replacing it with lean muscle.

Comment

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Comment

I've been thinking. Do you burn more if you're doing hot yoga than the regular kind?

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
            I've been thinking. Do you burn more if you're doing hot yoga than the regular kind?
            Not really. I used to think that it did, but it turns out all you're really doing is sweating more. I used to think that sweat lead to more fat loss, but it doesn't, it just leads to the loss of more water weight.

Comment

sweat loss is still weight loss. It's just not fat loss.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                sweat loss is still weight loss. It's just not fat loss.
                It is. Trouble is, people tend to think that when they lose water weight that they're actually losing meaningful pounds. Personally, I'd stay away from hot yoga unless you're really experienced with yoga and also do well in hot temperatures. That yoga really isn't for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

It is. Trouble is, people tend to think that when they lose water weight that they're actually losing meaningful pounds. Personally, I'd stay away from hot yoga unless you're really experienced with yoga and also do well in hot temperatures. That yoga really isn't for everyone.
                  That's a very good point. I can't do hot yoga until the weather makes my home hot anyway, while we're in lockdown ha ha.

Comment

Working...
                  X