Is Wii Fit still considered good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Wii Fit still considered good?

Just turned on my wii fit for the first time in over 2000 days (LOL!) and while I used to think it was motivational and helpful, I realized that it now seems like it has a lot of negativity and fat shaming. THe world has really changed since that product was developed. Is it any good or was it a fad? WIll I end up with joint problems or hurting myself by using it regardless of its "judgment" of my weight?

I think that as long as it's encouraging you to feel active and you are immune to the comments it makes that now feel like judgment or shaming, it's good. You should definitely still use other types of activity that are more natural movements than the video games, but it's still helpful even if it's old. Remind yourself that it's pre-programmed comments from a different time, before whole body wellness for weight control was embraced, back before we understood that weight comments and shaming aren't motivational at all. It's not personal. It's a not-very-accurate not-smart video game CD. You'll find that if you keep playing, it reverts to repeating comments because it's programmed with so few. So enjoy the games, ignore the "advice".

Comment

OMG I used to love playing that! It was so much more fun with 2 people. See if you can get someone else to join you!

Comment

I used to love that! I should see if my family still has one and bring it to Christmas to help pass the "boring hours" in the middle of the day after the gifts but before the food

Comment

Not trying to cause problems. If you're enjoying it, go for it. But if you're talking about the original Wii Fit Plus design with the weight loss recommendations and all that, I would say no. It doesn't promote natural movements, the time spent as you switch from one exercise to the next is too long to make the few minutes in between worthwhile. Your neck is always facing the tv, so it's difficult to get good form on workouts without ever turning your head naturally. It's also toxic in the way it discusses weight. I remember it used to ask me how other users were doing and it would make me rate their appearance based on weight (gained, lost, looking the same, etc). That isn't right. So seriously, if you love the games, go for it. Way better than sitting down to play a video game. But it has an old fashioned attitude toward weight and a stiffness from tech limitations from the games.

Comment

Working...
          X