Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to exercise safely in a heat wave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to exercise safely in a heat wave?

Is it really possible to get a good workout outside when it's a heat wave? I don't like the gym (at least not right now) and I'm benefitting a lot from going outside more, but it's a heat wave now. Is it safe to do anything that counts as exercise when it's this hot out?

Sure! Just slow it down a bit (your heart will already be working harder, so you don't need to go as intense), drink a lot of water (not energy drinks, water), and pay attention to your body. Stop and look for signs of sweating too much, dizziness, confusion, muscle soreness (including your stomach), headache, feeling sick and other things that seem off. If you're not feeling right, stop and cool down.

Comment

I'd go for a slow walk and bring water with me if I was going outside, then do your real cardio indoors in AC

Comment

You can but go lightly, break it into shorter sessions and drink tons of water. If you start feeling off, stop, rest and hydrate.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
          You can but go lightly, break it into shorter sessions and drink tons of water. If you start feeling off, stop, rest and hydrate.
          I agree. You can, but take it easy and pay close attention to what your body is telling you. When in doubt, stop and hydrate. It's not worth hurting yourself. Remember that once it starts feeling dangerous, it's already dangerous.

Comment

Working...
          X