Are pedometers worth having?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are pedometers worth having?

I have heard mixed things about using pedometer for walking/exercise. Some people claim that they work great and they love them, but others say that they are inaccurate. I’d really like to get one to help keep me motivated and so I know how farm I’m going and how many calories I’m losing. Can these devices be trusted and do they even count calories? What should I look for if I want a good one?

I like my pedometer. It helps to keep me motivated. It tells me how far I've walked and tells me how many calories I've burned. I use it as a way to challenge myself to keep up what I'm doing and to push for me (a healthy and safe push). I bought a digital one online for $70, but I think you can get them for cheaper. I would suggest taking a lot at the different products that are available, read its features and specs and some customer reviews, and then depending on how much you can afford, make your decision based on what seems most ideal.

Comment

It's funny you asked that. I just read an article in the paper yesterday or the day before that said that pedometers help people to lose weight more effectively, especially among seniors. That's not exactly my age group but I am looking to buy one now that I've read that!

Comment

What do they monitor? Just the steps you take?

Comment

Originally posted by TinaDancer View Post
          What do they monitor? Just the steps you take?
          Depending on the one you get, they can monitor your pulse, the number of calories you burned and they can keep track of your progress so you can compare what you did in the past. You can also set goals and some have clocks and can be used as a stop watch or timer. I recommend browsing the different devices on the market and you'll get a good idea of what you can expect from these gadgets. That said, I do recommend getting one. l love mine

Comment

They are great and completely worth getting if you like to monitor your progress. They can be highly motivating. As for which one is best. It really depends on how basic or how technical you want to get. Personally, I'm happier with simpler ones. The kind that tell me how far I've walked and how many calories I burned. I don't really care about it keeping track of my pulse or all that extra goal setting stuff.

Comment

Pedometers are really only worth having if you are interested in tracking your progress. Otherwise, they are a waste of money. In other words, ask yourself if you will honestly use it. The only other advice I'd give is if you're not sure if you will find having one beneficial, buy one that is super cheap and give it a try before you drop a lot of money on a gadget you might never use.

Comment

The good ones are worth having. Even if you want to track your progress if you get a bad one, it's not worth it. Bad ones are either noisy, they fall off all the time, or the reset button is too sensitive and you end up erasing your progress!

Comment

I wear mine all the time. It's shocking how much or how little I do in certain days. Good learning experience

Comment

How do you know a bad one before you actulaly buy it?

Comment

Wow, it's good to see everyone passionate about pedometers LOL. Guess I will shop around for a good one, but PennyThoughts does raise a good point. How do you know a bad one before buying it?

Comment

I found that customer reviews were the most helpful. They all say that they're the best, but customers really point out what they do and don't like.

Comment

Working...
                        X