appropriate fitness level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appropriate fitness level

How do you find out your appropriate fitness level. I know that it's important to make sure you don't over do it when you exercise but I also don't want to under do it. I find that when I follow beginner exercises it's too easy and I don't feel the burn but if I go up a level, some of the exercises are difficult to do. They don't hurt, but I definitely feel a little sore after. Is that alright? Are you supposed to feel a bit of a burn so you know that you're getting something out of exercise?

I think the best way to do it is to ask your doctor or a physical trainer. It's really hard for you to gauge on your own, especially when you don't knwo what to look for. A lot of gyms let you consult with a physical trainer at least once for free to set up your workout. So if you have a membership, take advantage of it. Otherwise, you can usually hire one for a session for a pretty affordable price.

Comment

If you're doing strength training, you will likely feel soreness the next day. It shouldn't be overwhelming, but it should be there. Just don't exercise those same muscles again until you've recovered.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
        I think the best way to do it is to ask your doctor or a physical trainer. It's really hard for you to gauge on your own, especially when you don't knwo what to look for. A lot of gyms let you consult with a physical trainer at least once for free to set up your workout. So if you have a membership, take advantage of it. Otherwise, you can usually hire one for a session for a pretty affordable price.

Really? I had no idea that the best thing to do is to ask a professional. I really thought that you could just assess your own tolerance by basing it on how you feel after you perform the exercise or if you simply just can't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristySmiles View Post

Really? I had no idea that the best thing to do is to ask a professional. I really thought that you could just assess your own tolerance by basing it on how you feel after you perform the exercise or if you simply just can't do it.
          Pros are best. Doing it on the "way you feel" method risks injury because exercising reduces your sense of pain (endorphins) so you don't know what damage you've done until it's done

Comment

Originally posted by 2strikes View Post

Pros are best. Doing it on the "way you feel" method risks injury because exercising reduces your sense of pain (endorphins) so you don't know what damage you've done until it's done

So then I should just head to my doctor or go to a physical trainer and tell them I don't know my fitness level and they can help me figure it out? How would they go about doing that? I'm really curious now haha

Comment

Working...
            X