Does low impact cardio do anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does low impact cardio do anything?

I’ve heard of high impact and low impact aerobics/cardio exercise. Low impact sounds like it doesn’t do much. Is that just me not understanding what it is?

Oh you can burn lots of calories with low-impact cardio. You likely do lots of it already Walking, strength training, cycling, or if your'e on an elliptical you are engaging in low-impact exercise. Essentially low-impact exercises include any exercise where one foot stays on the ground at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by suzieQ View Post
      Oh you can burn lots of calories with low-impact cardio. You likely do lots of it already Walking, strength training, cycling, or if your'e on an elliptical you are engaging in low-impact exercise. Essentially low-impact exercises include any exercise where one foot stays on the ground at all times.

Really? I would have thought that power walking, cycling and even some strength training would be considered high impact exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by M-Stark334 View Post

Really? I would have thought that power walking, cycling and even some strength training would be considered high impact exercises.
        I thought the same thing. Thanks for clearing it up, SuzieQ!

Comment

I also have to agree that I had no idea what low-impact cardio was. I also thought that if you were essentially out of breath and sweating up a storm from an exercise, regardless if your feet are on the ground or not that you are engaging in high-impact cardio....so what exactly is high-impact cardio? Swimming? Trampoline? Flying? lol

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize the "impact" part meant on your joints and bones etc. I thought it meant outcomes like the impact on your diet!

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
              Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize the "impact" part meant on your joints and bones etc. I thought it meant outcomes like the impact on your diet!
              I thought the same thing. I wonder if that's a common mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                Funny! I always thought that impact had to do with the intensity of the exercise. So if you really got your heart rate up that would be considered a high-impact exercise while a low-impact would be a lot gentler ....you know like swimming laps (high impact) vs. aqua fit (low impact).

Comment

Ok, so to be clear, the "impact" part of a high impact or low impact exercise is referring to how heavy it is on your joints, not referring to the type of effect it can have on reachign your goals? Am I the only one who thinks that’s weird? Why would you ever want a high impact exercise?

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
                    Ok, so to be clear, the "impact" part of a high impact or low impact exercise is referring to how heavy it is on your joints, not referring to the type of effect it can have on reachign your goals? Am I the only one who thinks that’s weird? Why would you ever want a high impact exercise?

That's what I'm wondering ChefMel. Unless high impact exercises lead to more calorie burning I don't see the point in doing them either...cause, exactly, why stress out your joints for no reason??

Comment

Working...
                    X