What is the healthiest broth and stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the healthiest broth and stock

What type of stock is the healthiest, most nutritious and best tasting? I want to start making stocks, but I don't really know where to start. I know it's about boiling bones and thing (I think), but I'm a total newbie when it comes to this sort of thing, so any help that can be offered would be great!

I guess the most nutritious depends on the specific nutrients you need to add in your diet. I think the one I find the best tasting is chicken bone broth though. You can use a chicken carcass from after you've had a roasted chicken, pick up a pack of chicken wings if you can get them super on sale and use them instead, or get some chicken feet if your butcher, grocery store, asian grocery (my best source) or even local poultry farmer has them to sell. They're cheap, creepy-looking for lots of laughs and Insta pics (LOL!) and make an unbelievably tasty and nutritious broth full of collagen.
    SO so so so easy to make. Slow cooker, 24 hours. Instant pot 2.5 hours.
    Add bones, a splash of apple cider vinegar, and whatever herbs you like. I like bay leaves, parsley and thyme. Simmer them for as long as you can stand it.
    If you want to keep the fat, all you need to do is ladel them into the containers you want to use to store them in the fridge/freezer. If you want reduced fat, just toss it into the fridge until it hardens at the top in a thin layer that you can break up and scoop off with a slotted spoon. It's like a gel when it's cold, but don't be creeped out by it because it makes a gorgeous rich liquid broth when heated. It is fantastic as a soup base, or you can just sip it to soothe your tummy or your soul on a cold day. Wonderful for easing an upset stomach and keeping up your strength.

Comment

I'd say beef if you want iron, but chicken for all-around nutrition

Comment

I've been thinking about this over the last week. Probably veggie stock would be the healthiest, especially if you add just a tiny bit of olive oil or another healthy oil to make sure that any fat soluble nutrients can be absorbed by your body. Homemade veggie stock is probably much better than the store bought kind.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
          I've been thinking about this over the last week. Probably veggie stock would be the healthiest, especially if you add just a tiny bit of olive oil or another healthy oil to make sure that any fat soluble nutrients can be absorbed by your body. Homemade veggie stock is probably much better than the store bought kind.
          I was going to say the same thing. I feel like homemade vegetables stock will give you the best nutrients, especially if you keep the vegetables in the broth you make. This makes sure you don't lose any of the nutrients and vegetables add a lot of flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraNorth View Post

I was going to say the same thing. I feel like homemade vegetables stock will give you the best nutrients, especially if you keep the vegetables in the broth you make. This makes sure you don't lose any of the nutrients and vegetables add a lot of flavor.
            Out of curiosity, is it possible to make bone broth with veggies, too? Some sort of ultimate health broth? Like could you make the chicken bone broth but also throw in a ton of veg and get all those nutrients? Does that work? Or could you make them separately and combine? Did I just invent a superfood? haha

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
              Thanks for this ChefMel! That should easy enough to do

TammyBear hahaha! I think you did just make a superfood. Creating two broths and combining them sounds like sheer genius to me! I bet the nutrients and the flavor would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy View Post

Thanks for this ChefMel! That should easy enough to do

TammyBear hahaha! I think you did just make a superfood. Creating two broths and combining them sounds like sheer genius to me! I bet the nutrients and the flavor would be great.
                I think you're right. Anyone else going to try this over the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post

I think you're right. Anyone else going to try this over the weekend?
                  I did and it was amazing! Combine vegetable and chicken. What an awesome taste Highly recommended it!

Comment

Working...
                  X