Low-Calorie Comfort Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-Calorie Comfort Food

Is low-calorie comfort food possible? For instance, to a somewhat extreme degree, what if my favorite meal is a big bowl of bacon mac and cheese? Is there an alternative to that that won't taste gross but that will keep me inside my daily calorie limit? Is this the sort of thing that should be considered all-or-nothing, or are there alternatives that really are good?

I wouldn't say that you can make bacon mac and cheese low cal, but you can make it LowER cal. Use fat free or reduced calorie cheese and skim milk in your sauce, for instance.

Comment

Look into things like mashed squashes instead of mashed potatoes. They're already rich and still give that same great texture, without the need for added cream, butter or even cheese. A light sprinkling of herbs and black pepper makes this feel ultra bad for you but it's so not!

Comment

What about turkey bacon whole grain mac and low-fat cheese? WOuld the taste really be different enough that it wouldn't be a cheesy bowl of goodness? I think I'd still go for it!

Comment

Bake your veggies in the oven and sprinkle them with parmesan cheese Everything tastes rich and comforting that way.

Comment

There are tons of great alternatives. Even when it comes to cheesy mac. THe key is not to give up if the first alternative recipe you try isn't great. Try another one if the first one isn't what you were hoping for. Speaking of cheesy mac, WW has a fantastic one.

Comment

Instead of trying to mimic comfort food recipes you already love, learn some new ones that are already low calorie. Butternut squash soup made with broth, not cream (and a touch of oat milk to still make it creamy) is amazing. It's warm and hearty and delicious, without blowing a calorie budget out of the water. There are lots of options like that. Save the recipes you love to be able to enjoy them as a treat. Learn some new ones to cozy up with when you need comfort food.

Comment

Working...
              X