Next superfood: Beets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next superfood: Beets!

Beets are amazingly good for you. If you don’t like them pickled or from the can, try getting fresh ones and you may discover that you like that bane of your childhood existence. All you have to do is cut off the top and the bottom and then peel it like you’d peel a potato. I like them fried like little home fries in a small amount of good healthy oil. If you want them healthier than that (and easier to peel) just take a fresh beet, cut off the greens (which you can fry, they’re delicious) and wrap them in foil, baking them. Do this with the skins on because when you take them out of the oven, the skins will come off much more easily. Very tasty!

I didn't know beets were so good for you! Thanks for posting this ChefMel. Do you know if the canned variety are just as good for you as the fresh ones?

Comment

Beets are awesome. I cook with them a lot...but boy do they stain and turn everything pink! lol. Great post

Comment

Can you do anything with beets other than just eating them as a side?

Comment

Yes, beets are great!

Charlotte – You can use beets in lots of ways. In addition to using it as a side, you can use beets in soups, stews, in sandwiches and on salads. It’s quite versatile and goes well with a lot of other foods!

Comment

I have never worked with beets before, other than nuking the ones in the can. Are they like potatoes or yams at all? For example, can you make mashed beets? LOL

Comment

OK. Thanks JennyR

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
                I have never worked with beets before, other than nuking the ones in the can. Are they like potatoes or yams at all? For example, can you make mashed beets? LOL
                I’ve personally never tried mashed beats, but I say you give it a try. You might just invent something new

Comment

Working...
                X