Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it turn out egg yolks are the healthy part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it turn out egg yolks are the healthy part?

After so many egg white omelets and saying I only want egg white everything, now I keep reading that egg yolks are a superfood. Have I been caught up in some pathetic fad with backward nutrition?

I don't think egg whites only are bad, especially if you're eating eggs all the time, but throwing some yolk in there on occasion will definitely add to your nutrition?

Comment

I think the whole egg is good for you. I mean, there is cholesterol in the yolk, but I think it's the good kind. I mean, as long as you're not eating lots of eggs every day, you should be fine with the yolk. Eggs are super nutritious and the yolk certainly has a lot of good stuff (including all the flavor!)

Comment

Egg whites aren't bad but the majority of the nutrition from an egg, including most of its protein, is in the yolk. The yolk contains the vast majority of the nutrient density of an egg. There isn't much to the whites.

Comment

I'm on board the eat the yolk train! Honestly, I used egg whites only if a recipe calls for it. Think of it like when you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. A lot of the nutrients is in the skin. If you only eat the inside, sure you're getting some good stuff, but the skin is loaded with great nutrition, too!

Comment

So egg whites don't really contain much for nutrients? That is so frustrating! Isn't an "egg white omelet" supposed to be super healthy? Or is it just lower in calories but not good for nutrition?

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
              So egg whites don't really contain much for nutrients? That is so frustrating! Isn't an "egg white omelet" supposed to be super healthy? Or is it just lower in calories but not good for nutrition?
              Essentially it's high in protein (but not as high when combined with the yolk 4 grams compared to 6 grams) but low in every other nutrient. So the reality is that it's essentially just low in calories. If you want the real health and nutrient benefits that an egg offers, the whole egg is what you'll want to eat. I really wish people would stop marketing egg whites as "healthy". It's not that they're not but they're not as healthy as eating the whole eggs. They should just say they're low in calories.

Comment

That's what I thought! I'm so frustrated. I feel like I've been duped by all the egg whites people!

Comment

Working...
                X