Eat for your brain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat for your brain!

A really important study has just showed that if you eat healthy foods then you can cut your risk of dementia by up to 90 percent. This is even possible if you are over the age of 50. It’s never too late to start to eat healthy and have an impact on your overall wellbeing. So it’s not just about saving your blood pressure, cholesterol, heart health, and diabetes risks. It’s also about making sure that you’ll stay in your right mind as you age!

That's really awesome to know Bethie! Thanks for sharing. Do you happen to know what specific foods are good for your brain and help to ward of dementia?

Comment

I think fish (particularly those high in omega 3s), nuts, whole grains and fresh vegetables are all really good for the brain. Essentially you want to avoid fatty, processed and fried foods as much as you can.

Comment

In addition to eating for your brain, it's also a good idea to exercise for your brain. By just going out for a brisk walk three times a week for a half an hour each time, you're doing good things for your brain! Combine walking with the right eating and you'll be providing your brain with loads of protection!

Comment

LOL, I totally read the title of your topic as “Eat your brain!” I’m glad my eyes were playing tricks on me…otherwise…wow.

That said, this is great advice and very true. I’ve got an aunt who has dementia and it’s a sad thing to see in someone you care about and it really scares you into wanting to do what you can to prevent it from happening to you. Thanks for posting this

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
            LOL, I totally read the title of your topic as “Eat your brain!” I’m glad my eyes were playing tricks on me…otherwise…wow.

That said, this is great advice and very true. I’ve got an aunt who has dementia and it’s a sad thing to see in someone you care about and it really scares you into wanting to do what you can to prevent it from happening to you. Thanks for posting this
            It's sort of funny that you said that you read it "eat your brain" because when I first created this post, I glanced up at it and thought that's what I'd written by mistake! Hopefully it's not a sign of a twisted mind. I think I need to get out and exercising more for my mind health!

I'm glad that you like the advice. I have a grandfather who is entering into the early stages of alzheimer's and it is scaring me terribly. It is in my family and I am terrified that it will get me one day. I don't understand why I'd even want to go on living that way if I didn't know any of the people I love and I was upset by them because they seem like strangers. Mental health is SO important and just eating well and exercising can do so much to save it. That's become my prime motivation for losing weight.

Comment

Bethie - LOL maybe it’s a sign of a twisted brain, but if that is the case, looks like my brain might be as twisted as yours if I my brain can’t process all the words and only hones in on two of them. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. It really is upsetting and it does give you a good wakeup call in terms of finding the motivation to live a healthier life. Best of luck in your “brain eating” Bethie

Comment

Bethie - LOL maybe it’s a sign of a twisted brain, but if that is the case, looks like my brain might be as twisted as yours if I my brain can’t process all the words and only hones in on two of them. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. It really is upsetting and it does give you a good wakeup call in terms of finding the motivation to live a healthier life. Best of luck in your “brain eating” Bethie
                Thanks for the supportive statement about my grandfather, SpeedDemon. Sorry to hear about your aunt, too. It's a very hard thing to go through but that's just it, it's a wake up call to live better and smarter.

Speaking of twisted minds, the other thing that I tend to mess up when it comes to the "brain" is that I always type "Brian" instead of "brain. Did you ever see the show Pinky and the Brain? The Brain is this really smart mouse who was on Jeopardy in one episode. They kept calling him Brian instead of Brain. It makes me laugh at my typo to this day.

Comment

LOL! Ya, I loved Pinky and the Brain. Ya...good ol’ brian instead of brain haha. Thankfully you didn’t write “eat for your brian” or “eat your brian”. Then you might have had everyone wondering if there was a new diet pill or if you really just didn’t like someone named Brian ha!

Comment

LOL! Ya, I loved Pinky and the Brain. Ya...good ol’ brian instead of brain haha. Thankfully you didn’t write “eat for your brian” or “eat your brian”. Then you might have had everyone wondering if there was a new diet pill or if you really just didn’t like someone named Brian ha!
                    LOL it's funny that you say that because I type "brian" instead of "brain" a lot and I blame that episode for it. Maybe the secret would have been that Brian was the new miracle diet pill that everybody should try but that I was holding out on its name until someone actually asked what I meant. It's that new subtle form of marketing You're funny, Speeddemon.

Comment

Ha! I think you should do that Bethie. Start selling “Brian” as the new weight loss secret miracle. One of the side effects of the product is that you might have a strong desire to take over the world LOL. I guess you bring out the funny guy in me. Not everyone can see it

Comment

Ha! I think you should do that Bethie. Start selling “Brian” as the new weight loss secret miracle. One of the side effects of the product is that you might have a strong desire to take over the world LOL. I guess you bring out the funny guy in me. Not everyone can see it
                        LOL that's hilarious! I wonder how many people would actually get that joke. Do you think it would be a good idea to start selling a second product called "Pinky" if the first one ends up being successful? Thanks for the laugh, Speeddemon

Comment

Working...
                        X