are baked potatoes healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are baked potatoes healthy?

If i don't add butter, bacon, sour cream and all that, are baked potatoes on their own a healthy food?

Yes! Very healthy! They contain a lot of great nutrients and if you eat the skin you get a ton of fiber too. The most nutrients (unlike what many people believe) are at the very center of the potato. So if you boil them, mash them or bake them, they're really good for you. The key is not to eat too much of them and to be careful what you add. We all tend to like sour cream, butter, and cheese, but they're super high in fat. So it's important to be reasonable on those fronts, particularly if you're already eating other fatty foods with the potato.

Comment

Sure they are! Just find new toppings. A little bit of sour cream doesn't hurt, but don't go overboard. Add chives to the sour cream for even more flavor

Comment

Originally posted by TammyBear View Post
        Yes! Very healthy! They contain a lot of great nutrients and if you eat the skin you get a ton of fiber too. The most nutrients (unlike what many people believe) are at the very center of the potato. So if you boil them, mash them or bake them, they're really good for you. The key is not to eat too much of them and to be careful what you add. We all tend to like sour cream, butter, and cheese, but they're super high in fat. So it's important to be reasonable on those fronts, particularly if you're already eating other fatty foods with the potato.
        It never occurred to me that mashed potatoes are healthy until you add all the butter and cheese or cream. I guess smashed potatoes with the skins on are even better. If i don't add butter but add oat milk and maybe some onions or chives and pepper flakes, that could actually be healthy and taste good.

Comment

Working...
        X