winter veggies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter veggies

I try to eat local as much as I can in the winter, but when the whole area is way below freezing, there’s nothing local except from hothouses. What’s the best veggies to get in winter?

probably anything that you can get locally in the fall but that keeps for a long time like squash, probably

Comment

I agree with 1000kilowatts. Go for whatever was grown locally in the fall. As for foods that come from other parts of the world, I suggest going for the stuff that is super in season. It not only tends to taste the best but it is often cheaper and I would guess that its better for you nutritional wise compared to when it's not in season. Also, don't forget about frozen veggies. They aren't a bad choice either.

Comment

I just try to buy as fresh as possible. If I don't feel that there is anything being sold to my liking I often opt for frozen veggies.

Comment

Good point. In the winter time, just trying to get a good variety and actually eat lots of fresh stuff is a good idea. Don't forget that you can still grow a few things in a window inside the house (just don't let it touch the cold window) such as herbs or something small like beans or a dwarf cherry tomato plant if you get lots of light.

Comment

I think that whatever veggies appeal are best because it means you'll eat more of them!

Comment

Working...
            X