Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Before & After Photos Really Good For Your Self-Esteem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Before & After Photos Really Good For Your Self-Esteem?

I've got mixed feelings about before and after photos. I understand that they do have their benefits when it comes to showing you how much progress you've made when you're following a weight loss program and you're trying to reach a goal, but at the same time, I find them to be really hard on my self-confidence. What do the rest of you think? When you take before and after shots, do you just look at your progress and feel great, or do you judge yourself?

I think everyone judges themselves, regardless if they take the photos or not. If you're choosing to lose weight in the first place, clearly you're doing it because you're not happy with how you feel or the way you look. The goal to losing weight isn't just about being healthier but also to improve your appearance. Are the pictures hard on your self-esteem, sure, but are they necessary? It depends on if your self-criticism is constructive - positive and motivational to help you reach your goal - or destructive - makes you feel bad about yourself so you're more likely to despair and give up.

My advice to you Charlotte is if B&A photos are too hard on your self-esteem, forget about them and find other ways to measure your progress.

Comment

When you take before and after shots, you're supposed to be looking at the progress that you make, not at the way that you actually look. After all, the clothing you wear will NEVER look good. At the beginning, when you're at your fattest, it will look horrible because you're fat, then as you lose weight it will still look bad because it still reveals every roll and ripple, but then when you've lost the weight your clothing will not fit you right so it will still look bad. Look specifically for progress, not to become a supermodel or a cover of a fashion magazine.

Comment

MadMike, that's an interesting way to look at it. Don't try to look good in your photos, try to look honest. That way you can see progress, not just a pretty face

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
          When you take before and after shots, you're supposed to be looking at the progress that you make, not at the way that you actually look. After all, the clothing you wear will NEVER look good. At the beginning, when you're at your fattest, it will look horrible because you're fat, then as you lose weight it will still look bad because it still reveals every roll and ripple, but then when you've lost the weight your clothing will not fit you right so it will still look bad. Look specifically for progress, not to become a supermodel or a cover of a fashion magazine.
          That's a good attitude Madmike. It's not about looking great. It's about looking BETTER! That way you don't even need to smile or pose . Just try to be honest with yourself.

Comment

I don't particularly like before and after shots either, but the others are right. You can't look at it to judge your self-image. Of course you're not going to like what you see. Taking these pictures is about monitoring your progress. However, I also agree with Speeddemon, if taking these pictures is really upsetting for you, don't do it. Losing weight should be a positive experience

Comment

Personally, I find these photos to be a waste of time. If you don't like taking them and they don't do anything for you, stop taking them. It's that simple. What works for one person won't always work for another. Do what feels right for you.

Comment

Thank you for all of your thoughts. I think I'll keep taking them and take your advice MadMike and look for progress instead of looking at all the things I don't like about the way I look. If I still can't get passed it though, maybe I will call it quits. I don't want losing weight to be a depressing process lol. Thanks again, everyone!

Comment

Be proud of yourself, Charlotte. It will help you to go a long way and stay motivated!

Comment

Don't give up, Charlotte, just take the pictures less often so that you can see more of a difference! It's just a matter of knowing how to get it right.

Comment

Thanks for the motivation Whirlybird

Comment

Working...
                      X