Take diet soda out of the picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take diet soda out of the picture

If all of the other studies that have been conducted on diet soda and that it isn’t good for weight loss, please pay attention to this latest one. It is a VERY well reputed study that is done by a great organization over a long period of time with lots of people and was conducted in a very legitimate way.

Johns Hopkins is behind the study and they ran it for ten years! What they found is that people who drink diet soda for weight loss consume FAR more calories every day than people who drink regular sugary soda. I don’t think that either of these products should be a part of a regular healthy diet, but certainly not the ones with the horrible artificial sweeteners that we barely understand but that we are only coming to discover have unwanted effects.

When they say “Diet” soda, they don’t actually mean “weight loss diet”. These products were designed for people who need a “special diet”, such as for people with diabetes who can’t drink sugary beverages. That said, I wouldn’t recommend these products for diabetics, either! Just toss these in the trash and pretend they don’t exist.

http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/life...alories/ncr3F/

I don't get it. If it has zero calories, how is it better than something that has 200 calories?

Comment

That's a really good study. Thanks for sharing enviroTodd. I personally can't stand the taste of diet soda, but it is silly that people drink it because they think it will help with weight loss. I think they should change the names of the drinks and take the word "diet" out. I know that it's supposed to mean for people who have special dietary needs, like diabetics, but honestly when you hear or see the word "diet", the first thing you think about is being on a diet to lose weight. There is no convincing me that those who selected the name didn't realize this. Dump the diet soda and choose water or if you want a treat, a beverage with less sugar.

Comment

Thank you for posting this enviroTodd. It was a good study. Hopefully others will realize how bad the stuff is for them. I've always found it gross.

Comment

A good study. I had heard about diet soda causing people to eat more calories before, but I found it interesting that the study also pointed out that those who consume diet soda and who are not overweight consume fewer calories than those in the same normal weight category who drink regular soda. I wonder why that is. Is it because they just eat less, so the extra calories they are getting are from the regular soda drink?

Comment

Ur right envirotodd. The study is very true! I used 2 drink diet soda & other drink with sweetners cause i thought it was better than regular soda cause it has no calories, but i just wanted more sugar. Its really not good 4 u. When i find i want something sweet 2 drink now, i just water down a glass of juice. I still get the sweet i want just not as much of it.

Comment

Good for you for making the change, BabyButtons. I feel that it's very important to keep on top of this kind of study that is unbiased and actually shows what these products are all about. You can't just trust what is written on the label of a food or drink. After all, their manufacturers aren't writing things on the label to help you out. They've provided the information either because they legally have to or because they can legally get away with it and try to trick you into thinking that you'l get something out of it that you actually won't. I feel it's important not only to inform myself but also to tell other people who might not have come across the same study yet. It's great to think that people like you, BabyButtons, didn't even need to have the study. You just paid attention and went with your instincts to be natural and healthy.

Comment

• BabyButtons
                BabyButtons commented
                Editing a comment
                I did! An thats what I find is important. Payin attention It always takes me a while but i catch on eventually lol. I think ur so clever cuz u always pay attention 2 ur instincts. Thats smart

I'm really upset to hear this. I always was under the impression that diet pop was the better choice when it came to choosing between full sugar pop or the zero calorie stuff. I guess there really is no good kind of pop especially when it comes to weight loss. I'm really going to miss drinking it while I"m trying to lose weight. I'm really a cola addict!

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
                I'm really upset to hear this. I always was under the impression that diet pop was the better choice when it came to choosing between full sugar pop or the zero calorie stuff. I guess there really is no good kind of pop especially when it comes to weight loss. I'm really going to miss drinking it while I"m trying to lose weight. I'm really a cola addict!
                Me too, KittyKatt. I always thought that diet was better. Doesn't it seem like you can't win if you want a treat? It's like you just have to give it all up. Anytime you think there is a benefit, there is always a drawback.

Comment

I really can't stand the taste of diet pop. In my head, you just know that it's bad for you and it does bad things to your body. That aftertaste just tells me it's not "real" and should be avoided.

Comment

Working...
                  X