Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you recognize too-low calorie diets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you recognize too-low calorie diets?

I think that counting calories is a good way to understand how much food you’re eating. I understand that there is more to food than just calories, but I need to learn about what I’m eating step by step. So I am starting with calories then moving to fats, carbs, proteins, nutrients, etc. But how do I know the difference between a diet that is low cal and healthy, and one that is too-low cal?

I think the best way to determine this is to know how many calories your should be ingesting every day based on your age, gender, and how much weight you would like to use. Your doctor could help you figure this out or you could find out for free by visiting an online site that helps track your calorie intake. Essentially, once you figure out the amount you should be getting to guarantee healthy weight loss, you can then determine which diets are too low in calories for you. That said, I would stay away from any of the short-term diet programs that last only 20 days or so. These diets are almost always some type of fasting/detox diet that will require you to very low calorie. Personally, I think any diet that recommends you eat less than 1500 calories a day is a little on the too low side.

Comment

I kinda agree with Firefly77, diets that want you to eat ultra low cal tend to limit your calorie intake between 1200 and 1500 which is kinda low, especially if they expect you to exercise. Detox diets are bad for being too low cal, even though they are only meant for a short period of time. Since lots of super low calories diets are for the short term they aren't terribly realistic and they only end up messing up your meatbolism. Look for a diet that is designed for weight loss and weight management, something that's meant for long term like Weight Watchers and ones like that that and won't cause extreme weight loss in 20 days. Those ones should be pretty good.

Comment

I agree with you both. If you're not sure, go with a diet with a good reputation. If you don't know which ones those are, ask your doc

Comment

Working...
        X