Hot flashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot flashes

I've been experiencing a lot of hot flashes recently but I'm only in my early 30's so I think I'm too young to be going through menopause. I'm heading to my doctor to find out if it could be a thyroid problem. That said, is there any diet that I can follow that will help to reduce my hot flashes? I've been avoiding spicy foods but are there any other triggers?

Oh no! That's not fun at all. Drink lots of water, stay away from alcohol and (if you can) try not to have caffeine or stimulants, either. You shouldn't change too many things until you speak with your doctor and find out what's going on. THere are lots of causes of hot flashes. STress and anxiety, certain skin disorders and some women start a very early perimenopause in their 30s. It could be lots of harmless things. If you struggle to go to sleep at night, have gel ice packs (they have them for kids in the first aid section of drugstores) ready that you can stick to the back of your neck. It sounds awful when you're cold but to battle a hot flash, it's amazing.

Comment

I don't know anything about this but I just wanted to wish you good health. Check in with us to say you're ok!

Comment

In addition to what Bethie said (which was all great advice btw), eating a well-balanced diet can be good for keeping your hormones in harmony. Many people also say that protein can provide relief from hot flashes and so can health fats. Also as much as possible avoid refined sugar. If you do eat it on occasion, avoid eating excess amounts of it. Eating a high amount of sugar can trigger both hot flashes and night sweats. Why is sugar so bad? It triggers a stress response, it increase your heart rate and it also increases your body temperature, making it the perfect recipe for a hot flash.

Also, aside from diet, you might find that dressing in light clothes when you head outside as well as exercising can help to prevent hot flashes, too.

Comment

Aw hot flashes that's awful! Poor you! Bethie and TeensyTiff gave great diet advice. I've got this to add

Eat whole foods that are not GMO soy foods. Increasing your protein intake helps with hormone production. Edible beans, such as soybeans can also help to control hot flashes because they contain estrogen compounds.

You should also try to avoid heat as much as possible, avoid wearing tight clothes and refrain from smoking and avoid cigarette smoke, as all of this can trigger hot flashes too.

I hope these tips give you some relief!

Comment

WHat is the difference GMO soy foods make compared to non-GMO

Comment

These are all great tips. Thanks so much! I'm really hoping that improving my diet a little will help.

That said...I'm just as curious at TinaDancer...what is the difference between GMO and non-GMO?

Comment

Essentially non-GMO foods - so those that are fermented and natural (organic) can be particularly beneficial for your health because soy that has been fermented for a long time reduces the anti-nutrient levels of soy, allowing their beneficial properties to benefit your digestive system. That said, typically the best fermented and non-GMO soy according to the experts is Miso, Natto, Tempeh and soy sauce that's not the result of artificial manufacturing using chemical processes.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
                  Essentially non-GMO foods - so those that are fermented and natural (organic) can be particularly beneficial for your health because soy that has been fermented for a long time reduces the anti-nutrient levels of soy, allowing their beneficial properties to benefit your digestive system. That said, typically the best fermented and non-GMO soy according to the experts is Miso, Natto, Tempeh and soy sauce that's not the result of artificial manufacturing using chemical processes.
                  Thanks for sharing that BabyButtons. I can honestly say I didn't know a single bit of this until I read what you wrote. What is tempeh and natto? I know what miso and soy sauce are. I guess I don't really eat as diverse a spread as I thought.Have you ever tried those things? Are they good? THanks again. I feel like I"m learning.

Comment

No problem! I'm really glad to help. Temph is a meaty-kind of food that is super high in protein and fiber. It's great for digestion. It's actually a great substitute for a mean protein and many Vegans tend to like it for that reason. As for Natto it's also just fermented soybeans and its typically added to fish dishes, miso soup, tofu and rice. They tend to be small in size but have a bit of a slippery and sticky texture. It's not very popular here, lots of people aren't wild about them, but everyone has different tastes, so if you're interested definitely give them a try!

Comment

Working...
                    X