Ornish Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ornish Diet

I heard from a friend that this was ranked as one of the best diets for 2017. What's so great about it? Is it only for health or does it help with weight loss, too. I'm looking for a new diet that's not too tough to follow and won't require me to do a complete 180 in terms of changing my current diet. Any thoughts?

it's named after the guy who created it, who runs a nonprofit. I haven't met anyone who has done it, but I googled it a while back because it came up on Facebook with someone I was talking to there.It's a lifestyle diet that focuses a lot on nutrition. It's not necessarily for weight loss but that is one of the things that is supposed to happen if you do it right because your body will be healthier and you will be eating better for your body. It's also supposed to reverse heart disease, diabetes and other issues. That's where I get skeptical. Anyone who says their diet will "reverse" that kind of problem is making too big claims in my opinion. If they said it would lower the risk, that's something else. But to reverse them, that's getting into a hazy area that doesn' tmake me comfortable. Still, the diet interests me regardless of its dumb claims. I think it's on to something.

Comment

I think this diet is ingenious. I think it's great like DASH is great. Focus on health and everything else will fix itself.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
        it's named after the guy who created it, who runs a nonprofit. I haven't met anyone who has done it, but I googled it a while back because it came up on Facebook with someone I was talking to there.It's a lifestyle diet that focuses a lot on nutrition. It's not necessarily for weight loss but that is one of the things that is supposed to happen if you do it right because your body will be healthier and you will be eating better for your body. It's also supposed to reverse heart disease, diabetes and other issues. That's where I get skeptical. Anyone who says their diet will "reverse" that kind of problem is making too big claims in my opinion. If they said it would lower the risk, that's something else. But to reverse them, that's getting into a hazy area that doesn' tmake me comfortable. Still, the diet interests me regardless of its dumb claims. I think it's on to something.

I'm with you Brightstar. That's exactly how I feel about the quality of a diet. I always get very skeptical of how effective a diet will be when they start dropping terms like"reverse" or "guaranteed" or "easy", etc. People behind diets need to tone down the claims and just tell people straight what their diet and realistically do for the average person. I'm so tired of diet BS.

That said, beyond that, I've never personally tried the diet and I don't know anyone who has, but I have heard good things about it Charlotte.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

I'm with you Brightstar. That's exactly how I feel about the quality of a diet. I always get very skeptical of how effective a diet will be when they start dropping terms like"reverse" or "guaranteed" or "easy", etc. People behind diets need to tone down the claims and just tell people straight what their diet and realistically do for the average person. I'm so tired of diet BS.

That said, beyond that, I've never personally tried the diet and I don't know anyone who has, but I have heard good things about it Charlotte.
          I'm feeling the same way these days, too. I used to look for things that were the best in terms of their claims. So I wanted the biggest, fastest, healthiest, or whatever. Now it's been years since I started this and I'm really immune to those claims. I really look into what things are about and whenever I see words like "cure" or "ultimate" or any extreme words like that, I just shrug it off. I feel like companies feel obligated to lie to us so they'll even get noticed. THere's so much competition that they need to be dramatic to stand out. I wish it wasn't like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

I'm feeling the same way these days, too. I used to look for things that were the best in terms of their claims. So I wanted the biggest, fastest, healthiest, or whatever. Now it's been years since I started this and I'm really immune to those claims. I really look into what things are about and whenever I see words like "cure" or "ultimate" or any extreme words like that, I just shrug it off. I feel like companies feel obligated to lie to us so they'll even get noticed. THere's so much competition that they need to be dramatic to stand out. I wish it wasn't like that.

I couldn't agree more Bethie. We'd all be a lot better off if companies stopped with the drama...but then again I guess if most of them did that what we'd discover a lot sooner is what they have to offer isn't worth our money haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

I couldn't agree more Bethie. We'd all be a lot better off if companies stopped with the drama...but then again I guess if most of them did that what we'd discover a lot sooner is what they have to offer isn't worth our money haha.
              LOL that's true. I think I'm understanding a lot better why they don't advertise that way. I guess they're really not going to catch our attention if they say "I dunno, I guess this diet is good but we don't have any proof yet. But so far nobody has died from it. I think that it probably does a lot of good. I guess we'll see. Thanks for being a guinea pig" then they're not gonna have a lot of people signing up and handing over their wallets haha. You're hilarious, Speeddemon

Comment

Originally posted by TammyBear View Post
                I think this diet is ingenious. I think it's great like DASH is great. Focus on health and everything else will fix itself.

I do like the sound of that! Thanks everyone for your responses. You brought up a good point about why you call the diet into question a little bit Brightstar and I know what you mean and I also agree with you Speeddemon and Bethie about companies not being very honest.

Comment

Working...
                X