No announcement yet.

Why is it you can't target weight loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it you can't target weight loss?

Ok, so crunches won't burn belly fat. Why is that? If my ab muscles are working, shouldn't they get energy from the closest source of fat?

You'd think so, but that's not how it works. Weight loss effects your whole body, not only one part, the same way that weight gain does. I mean, it might seem that when you put on weight, it's only collecting in one part of your body, but the reality is that fat is going everywhere, it just looks like it's all pooling in one place simply because of the way your shaped, it's why sometimes people carry more fat in their gut while others carry more in their hips, butt and thighs. If you just keep focusing on weight resistance,you'll event lose the fat where you want to lose it. Targeting certain muscles means that when you lose the fat, you'll have more muscle underneath these areas. At least, that's how I've always understood it. Hope that helps and makes sense!

Comment

I don't get it either Bean! Fat loss is a serious mystery to me, especially when it comes to doing strength training stuff. I really feel like if you target something, that's the part of your body that should be most effected. But, nope, not for me. I can do as many crunches as I want and I swear, my gut doesn't get smaller...but my chest does LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Charlotte View Post
        You'd think so, but that's not how it works. Weight loss effects your whole body, not only one part, the same way that weight gain does. I mean, it might seem that when you put on weight, it's only collecting in one part of your body, but the reality is that fat is going everywhere, it just looks like it's all pooling in one place simply because of the way your shaped, it's why sometimes people carry more fat in their gut while others carry more in their hips, butt and thighs. If you just keep focusing on weight resistance,you'll event lose the fat where you want to lose it. Targeting certain muscles means that when you lose the fat, you'll have more muscle underneath these areas. At least, that's how I've always understood it. Hope that helps and makes sense!
        That makes sense to me. Your body fat is basically an overall energy storage site. It's meant for everything your body does, not just what's directly behind it. Thanks!

Comment

So does this mean if you lose a pound of fat, you've lost this pound all over? It's not just a pound from your stomach, for instance?

Comment

Originally posted by JokerzWild View Post
            So does this mean if you lose a pound of fat, you've lost this pound all over? It's not just a pound from your stomach, for instance?
            That's what it's sounding like to me. I guess that's it.

Comment

Sort-of. It means that if you lose a pound of fat, you lost it from wherever your body found it most efficient to take it. It may have been mostly from your belly, 3/4 from your belly or not at all from there. It could be taken evenly throughout or only from your thighs. It's most likely a little bit from everywhere but more from certain places than others. It's just never going to be all from one place just because that's where you used a muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
                Sort-of. It means that if you lose a pound of fat, you lost it from wherever your body found it most efficient to take it. It may have been mostly from your belly, 3/4 from your belly or not at all from there. It could be taken evenly throughout or only from your thighs. It's most likely a little bit from everywhere but more from certain places than others. It's just never going to be all from one place just because that's where you used a muscle.
                Ohhhh, now that makes sense. Still annoys me that we can't just target fat loss, but I get it now. Thanks for explaining it like that KittyKatt!

Comment

Originally posted by Firefly77 View Post

Ohhhh, now that makes sense. Still annoys me that we can't just target fat loss, but I get it now. Thanks for explaining it like that KittyKatt!
                  I feel like someday there MUST be a way for scientists to discover a way to target fat loss for real.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post

I feel like someday there MUST be a way for scientists to discover a way to target fat loss for real.
                    I agree!! I mean, they can do so many other things? How difficult could that be? Or imagine if they invented something that lets you naturally (and safely) put the fat in another part of your body where you want it LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

I agree!! I mean, they can do so many other things? How difficult could that be? Or imagine if they invented something that lets you naturally (and safely) put the fat in another part of your body where you want it LOL
                      I bet 50 years from now we'll wonder what life was like back when we couldn't control where fat comes off the body. It's like living before a microwave or the internet

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

I bet 50 years from now we'll wonder what life was like back when we couldn't control where fat comes off the body. It's like living before a microwave or the internet
                        It will either be that or we'll all be fat and that will be the new normal...like Wall-E LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

It will either be that or we'll all be fat and that will be the new normal...like Wall-E LOL
                          Aww I love that movie! I don't know they managed to make such a terrifying dystopian movie so cute but they really did.

Comment

LOL. Yeah, I think it's my favorite one. I think they make it so cute because they're the only one who have ever used robots in a positive way and for comic relief. Most other movies always end up protraying robots as the end of humankind rather than as the saviors of our existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                              LOL. Yeah, I think it's my favorite one. I think they make it so cute because they're the only one who have ever used robots in a positive way and for comic relief. Most other movies always end up protraying robots as the end of humankind rather than as the saviors of our existence.
                              That's true! It's no wonder we're all creeped out when researchers in Japan come out with these incredible life-like robots or when we hear that AI has been used for something

Comment

Working...
                              X