Is it normal to gain weight as I age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it normal to gain weight as I age?

I find that people who are over the age of 50 who are thin don't look very good while those who look like they have some flesh on their bones appear healthier. Is it normal to gain more weight as we age or is that not true? I guess what I'm trying to ask is should a person weigh the same no matter if they're 20 or 50?

Originally posted by M-Stark334 View Post
    I find that people who are over the age of 50 who are thin don't look very good while those who look like they have some flesh on their bones appear healthier. Is it normal to gain more weight as we age or is that not true? I guess what I'm trying to ask is should a person weigh the same no matter if they're 20 or 50?
    I think that's a question for a doctor. Because the perception we have of how we should look and the way we should actually look is two different things. I think we all think we should be slimmer than is really good for us. We should all have a bit of "meat on our bones." Especially in case we get sick. We need to have something to lose! But still, the idea of a little round older person isn't necessarily good either. Ask your doc is all I can say.

Comment

Yes! It's normal. the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight. so if you keep living like you did when you were younger, you'll gain.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post

I think that's a question for a doctor. Because the perception we have of how we should look and the way we should actually look is two different things. I think we all think we should be slimmer than is really good for us. We should all have a bit of "meat on our bones." Especially in case we get sick. We need to have something to lose! But still, the idea of a little round older person isn't necessarily good either. Ask your doc is all I can say.

Yeah. I guess this is a question for the doctor. I do know that it is easier to gain weight as you get older because your metabolism slows, but for some reason I was just under the impression that if you are underweight when you are 20 it's not as bad for you as it is if your underweight when you're 50. I know it's never good to be overweight, I guess you should just always try to aim for a healthy BMI regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by M-Stark334 View Post

Yeah. I guess this is a question for the doctor. I do know that it is easier to gain weight as you get older because your metabolism slows, but for some reason I was just under the impression that if you are underweight when you are 20 it's not as bad for you as it is if your underweight when you're 50. I know it's never good to be overweight, I guess you should just always try to aim for a healthy BMI regardless.
          I think it's probably bad for you to be underweight no matter what your age is, but it's bad for you in different ways. Also it's important to know that the BMI stops applying after a certain age and there are other factors considered for weight instead.

Comment

Originally posted by TinaDancer View Post

I think it's probably bad for you to be underweight no matter what your age is, but it's bad for you in different ways. Also it's important to know that the BMI stops applying after a certain age and there are other factors considered for weight instead.

Really? I had no idea that BMI stops applying after a certain age! What age is that and why does it no longer work?

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

Really? I had no idea that BMI stops applying after a certain age! What age is that and why does it no longer work?
              Yes! BMI is for adults and usually becomes applicable around the age of 20. That said, it isn't appropriate for athletes (because of the muscle weight which skews results) and for seniors over the age of 65 to 70.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

Yes! BMI is for adults and usually becomes applicable around the age of 20. That said, it isn't appropriate for athletes (because of the muscle weight which skews results) and for seniors over the age of 65 to 70.

Really? That's fascinating. I seriously had no idea that that was the case. So how do athletes and seniors gauge appropriate weight? I suppose it's something that their doctor can tell them cause it's specific to the individual?

Comment

Really? That's fascinating. I seriously had no idea that that was the case. So how do athletes and seniors gauge appropriate weight? I suppose it's something that their doctor can tell them cause it's specific to the individual?
                  I think that's pretty much it. They likely measure weight, body fat level, fitness, nutrition and just use common sense. It depends on a lot of things like other health conditions and muscle mass at that point in life. That can say a lot about how much weight you should have on.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post

I think that's pretty much it. They likely measure weight, body fat level, fitness, nutrition and just use common sense. It depends on a lot of things like other health conditions and muscle mass at that point in life. That can say a lot about how much weight you should have on.

That's a really good point ChefMel and it does make sense. I think I just BMI made sense to everyone at any age (except kids of course). Guess you do learn something new everyday, huh?

Comment

That's a really good point ChefMel and it does make sense. I think I just BMI made sense to everyone at any age (except kids of course). Guess you do learn something new everyday, huh?
                      You're not the only one. Didn't realize that either.

Comment

Working...
                      X