Measure your portion sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measure your portion sizes

When it comes to weight loss and eating, you've likely heard over and over again that you need to watch how much you eat, in other words, reduce/limit your portion sizes. The easiest way to make sure you're not eating too much (when you're eating meals at home or when you make meals to bring with you to work/school for lunch) is to use measuring cups and spoons. Using measuring cups is the easiest way to control and keep track of how much you are eating.

I think that sounds like a giant never - going - to - happen for me. There are a lot of tricks out there that you can use to remember portion sizes so that you don't have to measure everything out every time If you give your closest guess, it means that you can eat without all of the math, like at restaurants.

For example, if you want a proper portion of meat, just eat the amount that would fit in the palm of your hand (not including your wrist, fingers or thumb. Or about the size of a hockey puck.

Comment

I love stuff like that! Like the amount of whole grains you should have for one serving is the same as one of those old incandescent light bulbs

Comment

Ya, I've got to agree with KenTraver. I don't think I'd ever used a measuring cup for my food either. I mean, in theory it's a very good idea and a very accurate way to measure portion sizes, but unless you're cooking for yourself all of the time, it becomes nearly impossible to do. No one is going to take a measuring cup with them to a restaurant lol. Your hand tip is a good idea KenTraver.

Comment

Another good idea when you're learning how much you should eat is to take a small amount of food and eat that first and allow yourself time to digest. You might find you're not as hungry. This will help you to lower your portions and gain some control over how much you eat.

Comment

You're right, TeensyTiff. Remember that you're not eating to be filled up, you're eating so that you satisfy your nutritional requirements. You won't gain any more satisfaction from eating a mountain of something that you like than you would from eating an appropriate portion. The goal shouldn't be to eat so much that you feel like you have to lie down. That's an obvious signal that you've overdone it and you've suffocated the flow of energy in your body. Instead, you have to focus on bringing more positive energy into your body through your food choices and the sizes of those foods.

Comment

It's true that you can't exactly take measuring cups and spoons with you to a restaurant lol, I just meant that it's better to measure the food you eat at home or when you are preparing it, so you know how much you have made and how much you have consumed. That said, using your palm as a guide is also a great tip. I never thought of doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                You're right, TeensyTiff. Remember that you're not eating to be filled up, you're eating so that you satisfy your nutritional requirements. You won't gain any more satisfaction from eating a mountain of something that you like than you would from eating an appropriate portion. The goal shouldn't be to eat so much that you feel like you have to lie down. That's an obvious signal that you've overdone it and you've suffocated the flow of energy in your body. Instead, you have to focus on bringing more positive energy into your body through your food choices and the sizes of those foods.
                Xactly! Ive taught myself 2 eat smaller portions & then get more after if Im still hungry. Another good idea is 2 eat slow. When u take ur time u will feel fuller faster. Dont wait until u are starving 2 eat

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
                  Xactly! Ive taught myself 2 eat smaller portions & then get more after if Im still hungry. Another good idea is 2 eat slow. When u take ur time u will feel fuller faster. Dont wait until u are starving 2 eat
                  Have you ever considered using chopsticks while you eat? Using them forces you to take smaller bites so that you won't eat as much. Using forks and spoons lets you put more into each bite so you eat faster. Using chopsticks naturally slows you down so that, as you said, there is the chance for the "full" feeling to kick in even after you've eaten less food. It usually takes around fifteen minutes for the full feeling to catch up with what you're actually eating. So if you wolf down your food, then your brain won't have enough time to register the amount that you've consumed. So you're also right about not waiting until you're starving to eat. If you're starving, you'll eat very quickly and, therefore, eat more than you actually need. Very good points, BabyButtons.

Comment

Working...
                  X