Want to get of the sugar train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to get of the sugar train

I was wondering if it's possible to wean yourself off sugar? I crave sugar all the time and I feel miserable when I don't have it but I know I shouldn't eat as much as I do. It's bad for my health and my waistline. I'm a gal who loves desserts after all my meals. What can I do to keep desserts and sweets in my life but at the same time not over do it as I have been. I get that I should just stop eating it, but I crave it so much I feel like I can't give it up. Any tips or advice?

I think it takes less time than you think. Three days help you to break the worst of the habit - and they're a long three days - and then from there on, it's a matter of maintaining it. You can't get rid of all sugar, but you can get rid of a lot of the sugary junk foods and bust up your cravings.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
      I think it takes less time than you think. Three days help you to break the worst of the habit - and they're a long three days - and then from there on, it's a matter of maintaining it. You can't get rid of all sugar, but you can get rid of a lot of the sugary junk foods and bust up your cravings.
      I agree. It does take less time than you think. That said, they're not easy days. You will crave sugar a lot and you'll likely reach a point where you'll seriously debate just saying "forget it" and caving and eating the sugar. The good news is that if you are able to resist, the cravings will stop. That said, just remember that even once you've stopped the cravings, at any point you can always get addicted to sugar again and every time it happens, you'll have to go through the same fighting the cravings scenario. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it btw. I think it's great to cut out the sugar. I just want to be honest with you because if you're a sugar junkie like I am, it's more of an ongoing battle than it is one that you just overcome for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Greenfairy View Post

I agree. It does take less time than you think. That said, they're not easy days. You will crave sugar a lot and you'll likely reach a point where you'll seriously debate just saying "forget it" and caving and eating the sugar. The good news is that if you are able to resist, the cravings will stop. That said, just remember that even once you've stopped the cravings, at any point you can always get addicted to sugar again and every time it happens, you'll have to go through the same fighting the cravings scenario. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it btw. I think it's great to cut out the sugar. I just want to be honest with you because if you're a sugar junkie like I am, it's more of an ongoing battle than it is one that you just overcome for life.
        I have such a hard time deciding what I feel about sugar. I knwo I should eat less, but cutting it out all the way probably isn't realistic. I'm not a sugar addict anymore, but I just see sugar in all the products I love and I'm not about to give them all up. I can eat less candy and soda, but I'm sure not going to give up spaghetti sauce and cereal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

I have such a hard time deciding what I feel about sugar. I knwo I should eat less, but cutting it out all the way probably isn't realistic. I'm not a sugar addict anymore, but I just see sugar in all the products I love and I'm not about to give them all up. I can eat less candy and soda, but I'm sure not going to give up spaghetti sauce and cereal.
          That's exactly how I feel about it! Giving up sugar totally is unrealistic unless you need to do it for some serious health reason. You can definitely make an effort to opt out of all the extra sugar stuff like desserts, candy, soda, chocolate, cakes, and even adding sugar to your coffee, tea, cereal etc. That said, things have sugar in them and if you like sugar trying to move totally away from it sounds like a losing battle to me. Winning is about having control but it's also about being smart and knowing what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JennyR View Post

That's exactly how I feel about it! Giving up sugar totally is unrealistic unless you need to do it for some serious health reason. You can definitely make an effort to opt out of all the extra sugar stuff like desserts, candy, soda, chocolate, cakes, and even adding sugar to your coffee, tea, cereal etc. That said, things have sugar in them and if you like sugar trying to move totally away from it sounds like a losing battle to me. Winning is about having control but it's also about being smart and knowing what works for you.
            I wouldn't even want to give up all sugars. Cutting them to a reasonable point is one thing but trying to go sugar-free is something else. It's one thing to try to be healthy, but it's something else to unnecessarily deprive yourself day after day until you're actually cutting into your quality of life. It's a balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post

I wouldn't even want to give up all sugars. Cutting them to a reasonable point is one thing but trying to go sugar-free is something else. It's one thing to try to be healthy, but it's something else to unnecessarily deprive yourself day after day until you're actually cutting into your quality of life. It's a balance.
              That's what I think. It's all about balance. We all know when we eat too much sugar. It's about choosing to say "no" to overeating it. Enjoy your sweet treat, but cut sugar where you really don't need it. I mean, sure I love having cola, but I know that I don't need it, so I leave it as a treat. It's not hard to just drink water instead of most other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

Thanks Bethie for being honest! You're right, too. As much as I would actually love to ditch sugar, I do like it too much to abandon it totally. I guess I'll work on starting small and controlling my choice this way instead of just trying to go cold turkey.

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice! Hope you all have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

Comment

Working...
                X