Have realistic expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have realistic expectations

I just finished responding to Troyburger's question regarding how many calories need to be burned to lose one pound. The answer is you will need to be around 3500 calories, as this many calories is the equivalent to one pound of fat. Knowing this information, it really puts things into perspective. If you want to lose actual fat and not just water weight, you need to create diet and exercise goals that will allow you to burn off these calories. Stop trying to lose weight quickly with short-term weight loss diets. It just won't work. You need to devise a realistic goal and work at it slow and steady. Weight the comes off and stays off is a gradual process. If you are serous about losing weight, you need to start being serious about your goals and this requires practicality.

It really is important to set the right realistic goals. I try to make the harder goals right at the start when my motivation is high, then I go easy on myself over time.

Comment

Unless your goal is only to lose up to five pounds, then trying to lose weight in a super fast way is a futile effort. It will never stay off and you'll only end up frustrating yourself. You make a very good point, Janet.

Comment

So very true Janet! I had no idea that there were that many calories in a pound. I never even really thought about that before. Knowing that really puts a lot into perspective for me. It does suck that short-term diets do not work for weight loss, but you really do need to have long term goals when it comes to losing weight.

Comment

U do need 2 have realistic expectations. If u dont u only end up working against urself. I made this mistake when i first started dieting. I thought my body could handle more than it could & i really hurt myself. I also used 2 try 2 achieve the type of body that my fave celeb had. That was also really stupid. As werid as it is, it takes time & mistakes 2 realize that the only real way 2 lose weight is 2 eat healthy & exercise. The only way u r gonna lose the fat is if u burn off more calories than u eat.

Comment

Working...
          X