Keep your goals fresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep your goals fresh

Creating your first weight loss goal is important, but it shouldn't be the only one you ever make. In my experience, I have found far more success when I create several small goals instead of only having one big one. They are not only easier to achieve, but I achieve them faster and when I complete a goal I feel really motivated to continue what I'm doing and I feel proud of myself! Even if you have reached your goal weight, you should still have health goals to help you maintain your weight loss. The battle with weight is never over for some of us, so it is important that we stay strong, motivated and practical.

A good point Suzie Q. We really do need to have more than one goal.I have also found that when I make my goals more manageable, I am more inclined to complete them and I do feel much better about myself when I do.

Comment

That's a really good way to put it, SuzieQ. It's like having one big goal that you ultimately want to get to, but lots of mini-goals that you'll be able to reach a little bit faster so that you'll hav ea sense of progress and completion. It makes a big difference

Comment

How small should you make your smaller goals? If they're too easy then there isn't a feeling of accomplishment

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          How small should you make your smaller goals? If they're too easy then there isn't a feeling of accomplishment

It's about making them realistic. Instead of aiming for what you want to achieve, aim for what you know you can achieve. For instance, you may want to walk 3 miles but you know you can walk 1 for sure. Make your first goal walking one mile every day for one week. After that make your second goal walking two miles for the next week and see how you do. Eventually, work your way up to 3 miles. In other words, you need to prove to yourself that you can consistently walk one mile before you try to walk three. Take your time and don't rush.

Comment

You can set a realistic goal and create steps for yourself to achieve it so that you can feel like you've had a victory when you reach each step but when it all comes down to it, you're still working toward the same goal.

Comment

Make sure that you actually look at your goals now and then and make sure taht they're still realistic. Sometimes soethign sounds right at the start, but over time, you realize whether it will be too easy or too hard. goals can be flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by 1000kilowatts View Post
                Make sure that you actually look at your goals now and then and make sure taht they're still realistic. Sometimes soethign sounds right at the start, but over time, you realize whether it will be too easy or too hard. goals can be flexible.

I agree. That's a really good piont, 1000kilowatts. It is important to be flexible with your goals and not to be afraid to change them. If something isn't working, it may be that it is not right for you not that you are not trying hard enough. It's important to create goals that work for YOU, not what works for someone else.

Comment

I think that while it is a good idea to create smaller goals that you know you can achieve that you also need to have self-discipline. Sometimes, just as it is difficult to stick to hard goal, if you make them too simple it is easy to ignore them because you don't think of them as a big deal. For some reason when I have smaller goals I tend to procrastinate a lot more. I have no idea why that is.

Comment

Working...
                  X