be realistic about resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• be realistic about resolutions

The worst thing you can do with a resolution is set yourself up to fail. When you set one, be realistic and have a plan.

Good idea. Also, get started on it right away, even if you're just getting organized.

Comment

I agree KittyKatt. I also think that you should have a backup plan in case your first goal falls through. It's better to take a couple steps back and continue and even change your goal than to give up entirely. Sometimes we can think that we can handle something more realistically than we can. Often, starting off slow is best and testing our tolerance than diving in full tilt. Consistency is more important than speed.

Comment

Having a plan is important. It's also important to keep trying even if you fail. There is no shame in readjusting your goal if it turns out you bit off a little more than you can chew. Take it easy and take it slow and you'll find your success. Like TroyBurger said it's about consistency more than speed. It's the journey that is more important than how fast you reach the actual target.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
          Having a plan is important. It's also important to keep trying even if you fail. There is no shame in readjusting your goal if it turns out you bit off a little more than you can chew. Take it easy and take it slow and you'll find your success. Like TroyBurger said it's about consistency more than speed. It's the journey that is more important than how fast you reach the actual target.
          That was a very important point about readjusting your resolution so you can put yourself on track. This type of goal setting shouldn't be black-and-white or you will never get where you want to be. Sometimes our predictions about ourselves don't turn out to be what we thought. That's alright as long as we adapt. Failing to make changes and to continue trying is the only way you can really say that you've failed in your resolution. The journey is the most important, as you said, BabyButtons. Because changing course in order to take the right path is how you make sure you'll get there.

Comment

I think it's a good idea to have several plans instead of only one and start by pursuing your goals starting with the one for which you have the most drive and passion. If that one falls through, move on with your next one. Personally, I do much better when I have set up a safety net for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

That was a very important point about readjusting your resolution so you can put yourself on track. This type of goal setting shouldn't be black-and-white or you will never get where you want to be. Sometimes our predictions about ourselves don't turn out to be what we thought. That's alright as long as we adapt. Failing to make changes and to continue trying is the only way you can really say that you've failed in your resolution. The journey is the most important, as you said, BabyButtons. Because changing course in order to take the right path is how you make sure you'll get there.

That's just it enviroTodd. Adapting is important and not being afraid to make change. I can't count the number of times I was afraid to change to complete a goal because I was afraid if I changed I'd lose everything. Turns out that when I have taken the little risk and made a change, things turned out much better than I expected. It's surprising how hard it is to break from a comfort zone, isn't it?

Comment

It is. I find that very strange, too, because I can feel stress building even when I break from some very small routines, if I've been following the same ways for a very long time. I try to consciously make mental corrections where I focus on the flow of my positive energies, in those cases. To do that, I ask myself what I stand to lose by making the change. Often, that thing is very small or even non existent. Then I ask myself what I stand to gain and I write that list down so I can look at it. Usually, that list is far longer than the drawbacks ever were and that pushes me to be positive and driven about making the change. It's incredible how much of our attitudes is within our own hands, don't you find?

Comment

I couldn't agree more. Our attitudes are what control the decisions we make most of the time. A lot of the time, whether we succeed or fail at something has to do with our attitude, which is why it's so important to be positive as much as possible. It is truly amazing, though, how it takes so very little for us to go from being driven and passionate about something to letting doubt creep in and completely altering our perspective. You're smart to make a list enviroTodd. If we did that more often, we'd likely see that the pros often outweigh the cons.

Comment

Working...
                  X