Walking in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking in winter

I just know that the snow is just around the corner but my main form of exercise that I’ve been doing is walking. I don’t want to wear my usual sneakers in the snow and ice.

Is there such thing as boots that are good for walking, too? With the right support and shock absorption and all that?

Do I have to walk as far when it’s snowy and icy to burn the same amount of calories?

Have you looked at a really good pair of winter boots that look like hiking boots? They might do

Comment

Just like running shoes, some winter footwear is better than others and will provide you with more support. Lots of people do outdoor activities in the winter that involve walking. I’d recommend you head to your shoe or sports store that sells winter gear and ask them what products they would recommend for the winter. Aside from warmth, the right cushioning in the midsole and the treads to provide the right type of traction that is best for slippery conditions would be where I would place my focus.

Comment

You need a good pair of winter boots. Ones that will provide good traction on snow, ice, sand, salt, etc. The footwear should be durable, lightweight, be water-resistant and well insulated. It should support your ankles and have a sell cushioned sole to absorb shock. It should fit your foot snugly enough that your heel won’t slip out while you walk, but at the same time the toe box should be roomy enough that you can easily wiggle your toes and you can wear thick winter socks if needed. Also, make sure you know what type of foot you have – is your arch high, normal, or low (flat foot)? You need the right arch support to prevent over or under pronation (your foot/ankle rolling inwards or outwards) when you walk. Look for a good boot. This will likely cost a bit of money, but if you want the best support it will be worth it.

Finally, do remember that regardless of how awesome the boot may be that you get, you still need to watch where you walk and take it slow sometimes. Winter terrain is extremely uneven and slippery. I’ve wiped out one too many times lol. Good luck!

Comment

If you get a really good pair of winter boots and they still aren't doing what you want them to, you could always get an extra pair of added insoles. There are some great ones out there. I've even seen memory foam!

Comment

Originally posted by 2strikes View Post
            If you get a really good pair of winter boots and they still aren't doing what you want them to, you could always get an extra pair of added insoles. There are some great ones out there. I've even seen memory foam!
            How do you make sure that they fit your shoes or boots properly? I've never had much luck with the kind you cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
              How do you make sure that they fit your shoes or boots properly? I've never had much luck with the kind you cut.
              If you get better quality ones they will often come in specific sizes so you don't have to cut them.

Comment

Working...
              X