Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does walking a dog burn more or less calories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does walking a dog burn more or less calories?

I’ve been tracking my exercise on this ShareFit.com site I found. It lets me enter in all the different kind of food and exercise for a day. I noticed that walking the dog and regular walking are listed separately. Is there a difference in calorie burning when you have a dog with you?

Yeah I think there is a difference because most times when you walk a dog it's not a solid walk. You start and stop a lot with the dog if it sniffs or does its business. Technically, if you walked without stopping with your dog in the same way that you would walk without the pooch, you'd get the same walk. However, that's likely not gonna happen when dogs tend to have a mind of their own

Comment

It really depends on how you're walking your dog. If you're going at a good pace that gets your heart rate up and you stay at that pace for a minimum of 10 minute bursts at a time, you can get just as much calorie burning from a dog walk as you can a regular walk. The point being, as long as you keep your heart rate up for a consistent amount of time without constantly starting and stopping your exercise it doesn't matter if you're walking a dog or not.

Comment

I agree. Do you have a well behaved dog who doesn't stop all the time and are you both out there for a consistent, brisk walk, or are you walking along, then stopping to let your dog sniff, then walking again, so your heart rate doesn't get up and stay there - as Firefly77 said.

Comment

I'd say for the most part walking a dog burns less calories, but if walking a dog is what gets you out the door and walking then you're burning more calories than if you weren't to walk at all hahaha. Every time I walk my dog I consider it a win-win. I get to spend time with my pooch and give him a great walk and I get exercise. Every step counts!

Comment

I agree with Lady Greenfairy. Whatever gets you out the door and walking is what will burn the most calories. Try not to worry too much about how many calories you burn on a walk. What's more important is that you get moving, dog or not. The more regular you are with your exercise the better it is, too. For instance, walking a dog every day is better than only walking a few days a week, even if you burn more calories on those walks than you do on a standard dog walk. Consistency is important.

Comment

Good point, Speedemon. ALso, make sure that when you do get out moving, you focus on consistently going at a pace that will get up your heart rate. By the end of the walk, you should be breathing faster, you should be warmer, and it should be challenging to speak at a normal rate.

Comment

Working...
              X