Cookies for weight loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookies for weight loss

Does anyone know a cookie recipe that won't hinder my weight loss progress. Cookies are my favourite treat, but lots of the recipes I have are really high in fat, salt and sugar. Any suggestions?

Hi Firefly77! Here is a low-fat and egg-free oatmeal cookie recipe that I like. Here’s what you need to make two dozen (24 cookies):

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup applesauce
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup of walnuts

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl mix the sugars and applesauce together. In another bowl sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together. Slowly add and stir the dry mixture into the applesauce mixture. Add the oats, raisins and walnuts. Stir everything together until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Place the dough in rounded teaspoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes , let cookies cool, and enjoy!

Comment

Charlotte - Those sound like awesome cookies, and they are very vegetarian-friendly (at least for me!) Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I know what I'm baking this weekend

Comment

The trick to having cookies without gaining weight or causing harm to your weight loss is to have them just as a treat. Have one (JUST one) in the afternoon, for example, or as your dessert after dinner.

Great recipe, Charlotte, btw.

If you just have the one, it won't do too much harm, especially if you make that your treat for the day and work it into your calorie budget. By choosing a really high fiber one like what Charlotte suggested, you'll really give yourself an advantage.

If you make them yourself, freeze what you know you shouldn't eat after a period of 3 days.That way, you can take one out to thaw in the morning so that it'll be ready once it's time to eat it, but you won't feel pressured to eat them all up before they go bad!

Comment

Charlotte, that looks like a great recipe. I'm tempted to make it today, since it's a weekend and the weather's cool enough to put the oven on. The trick is to remember that just because they're low fat, it doesn't meant that they're low sugar or low cal

I think any really good tasting cookie isn't going to help with weight loss. The trick is to choose ones like this and then eat them in moderation, as KittyKatt suggested.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts, and for your great recipe Charlotte I'm definitely going to try that one.

Brightstar - I know what you mean about low fat stuff not actually being all that great for you. It's wonderful an all that they take out certain ingredients, but a lot of the times they don't replace them with better alternatives.

KittyKatt - I didn't figure there would be a really good cookie for weight loss lol. You're right, essentially it's just a matter of self-control and moderation. *sigh* Wouldn't it be awesome if they made a cookie that actually helped you lose weight!

Comment

Nice recipe Charlotte. I never thought about using walnuts or cinnamon in oatmeal cookies. I'm definitely going to try this soon. Do you have any more cookie recipes?

Comment

Oh, yay! I'm so glad all of you liked it As for more cookie recipes, I'll have to see what I can find. As most of you probably know, it's not easy finding low fat/low sugar/low cal cookies that still taste great.

Comment

Sugar is a poison to your body. If you stop eating it, you will stop being addicted to it and then you won't need it anymore, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                    Sugar is a poison to your body. If you stop eating it, you will stop being addicted to it and then you won't need it anymore, anyway.
                    Sometimes you need to take a little bit of a risk with a tiny "poison" like sugar, just because you enjoy it. After all, you're taking a similar level of risk by getting into your car every day or crossing at a busy intersection.

Comment

Envirotodd, cookies are fine as long as you pick ones with good ingredients and you don't have too many. Live a little!

Comment

I agree with Drew and TinaDancer, enviroTodd, you need to lighten up a little. A little sugar isn't going to kill you. Plus, I'm wiling to bet even YOU have some sugary treat or "poison" you enjoy and eat :P

Comment

If you look at how much sugar is already in the rest of your food then you'll realize how important it is to slash things like cookies out of your diet. You're essentially using a ten second treat to shorten your life. by calling sugar a "poison" I am trying to live a little. In fact, I'm trying to live a lot - longer.

Comment

Working...
                          X