Weight loss and good manners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight loss and good manners

Looking for some etiquette advice. I’m trying to prepare ahead of chrismas. People are going to say “oh no you look great, have one more cookie. One cookie won’t ruin everything”. How do I politely tell these people to stuff it? LOL

I'd just tell them to back off.

Comment

I think the trick is to remain gracious but say taht you can't break the promise to yourself. That it's important to you.

Comment

It's always best to just be polite and honest. I would just say a simple "No, thank you". If they insist that you try it tell them "you're stuffed". If it really matters to the person that you try something you made, you can always ask to split it or ask if you can take it home and try it later when you're not so full. However, if people really can't seem to take the hint, there really is no polite way around it. Tell them to "back off". They are the ones being rude.

Comment

Oh that is so frustrating when people do that! I've stopped being polite about it. If my initial polite "No, thank you" doesn't work, I lose the sweetness in my voice and make my "no" a little more direct and serious. I don't care if someone gets offended by this point. People need to start learning that when you say "no" you mean it. You shouldn't have to justify why you don't want a cookie!

Comment

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the opinions. I'll see if I can perfect my technique this year so that I won't end up stuffing myself even more than I usually would. I hope that it won't be a problem, this year, but I just want to be prepared since it has happened every other year.

Comment

I don't understand why people are so pushy about insisting that people eat their food at the holidays. Why do they care if you eat it or not or how much you eat of it. As long as there is enough for everyone, then if you take a small amount or if you heap it on your plate, it shouldn’t matter to anyone but you.

Comment

Originally posted by 2strikes View Post
                I don't understand why people are so pushy about insisting that people eat their food at the holidays. Why do they care if you eat it or not or how much you eat of it. As long as there is enough for everyone, then if you take a small amount or if you heap it on your plate, it shouldn’t matter to anyone but you.

Perfectly said 2strikes. That's exactly it. It isn't anyone's business but your own. People should spend less time concerning themselves over what you do or don't put on your plate and spend more time thinking about the choices they make.

Comment

Good point Troyburger. I think that there are enough stresses going on around this time of the year that we really don't need to add stresses about what snacks we're eating - and the reactions other people are going to have to that - to the pile

Comment

Has anyone ever actually tried to pressure someone else into eating something when it was clear that they didn't want to? Come on! Now's your time to confess! I did it when I was a kid, but not since then.

Comment

I confess that I've done it. I work as a chef and I really wanted the praise for my hard work. Until I started dieting, I really didn't realize how rough I was making things

Comment

Working...
                      X