Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your reasons for wanting to lose weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your reasons for wanting to lose weight?

It’s been a couple of weeks since my last poll, so I figured it’s time for another one.

Recently I asked a friend why he was so bound and determined to lose weight and he told me because his girlfriend said he was getting “too fat” and she would leave him if he didn’t get in shape. Now, I can honestly say that my friend may be carrying around a little extra weight that he might want to consider losing, but he’s certainly not obese. Personally, I think her ultimatum was a little over the top. If you are going to lose weight, it should be for your own reasons (or because your doctor recommends it for your health), not because someone is essentially telling you to do it “or else”.

Anyway, back to the poll. Here’s my question -

What are you reasons for losing weight?

Health should always be the first reason for any change in lifestyle or weight. If you aren't doing it for your health then you need to have a good look at your priorities. You can do it for other reasons too, it's just that health should come first.

Comment

envirotodd, it's not just a matter of health. When it all comes down to it, you should be doing it in a healthy way and you shouldn't be going against your health, but you could easily be within your healthy BMI and want to lose 5 or 10 pounds so that you will look better or your clothes won't be so tight. It's not all about one thing. You're always talking about opening your mind up to new and positive things. Why don't you stop making statements as though there is only one answer if you want to seem like you're so open minded.

Comment

I am losing weight for my health, first and foremost. I have known for some time that I am overweight, but now it is getting to the point that i am going to start having some ramifications as I age and I am not interested in having to pop cholesterol and high blood pressure pills for the rest of my life. That said, the decision was made at the recommendation of my doctor and I am looking forward to looking a little bit better than I have over the last number of years. So that is a number of reasons, but health is the top one.

Comment

THe good thing is that as long as you're losing weight that you should be losing, even if you're doing it for your looks, then your health will still benefit

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post
            THe good thing is that as long as you're losing weight that you should be losing, even if you're doing it for your looks, then your health will still benefit
            That's a good point. No matter why you do it, you're getting healthier

Comment

I can admit that I’m not just doing it for my health, I do want to look better. Essentially, once I reach that point where I hate how I look in my close or the waist of my pants are getting a little snug, that’s enough to motivate me to start shedding the pounds.

Comment

Yup, I’m one of those guys who is working on losing weight cause my doctor recommended I should. It really wasn’t until he said how much damage my weight could do to my health that I really started listening and taking losing weight seriously.

Comment

My reasons are entirely health-related. That's another reason why I became a vegetarian. My diet was gross a few years back and because of it, I became gross and I started to feel awful. It was enough to smack some sense into me.

Comment

I started gaining weight after I quit smoking. Say what you want about smoking, ya ya I know it’s bad for you, but it really did help curb my appetite. After I quit (which, btw I don’t regret). I found myself reaching for food every time I craved a smoke. Well…that certainly didn’t turn out well for my waistline, despite being better for my lungs lol. So that’s my reason for starting.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                      Health should always be the first reason for any change in lifestyle or weight. If you aren't doing it for your health then you need to have a good look at your priorities. You can do it for other reasons too, it's just that health should come first.
                      I agree whole heartedly. I’m losing weight for health reasons. Personally, I don’t think there is a better or more important reason for losing weight.

Comment

My wife encouraged me to lose weight. My wife wasn’t as harsh about it as your friend’s girlfriend, Speddemon, but she did make some valid points I couldn’t ignore. I’m not ashamed to admit that I would change something about my physical self to make someone I love happy, especially if making that change won’t just make me more appealing to their eye, but more importantly, will ease their worries about my health.

Comment

I lose weight 4 my health but also cuz I want 2 look good.

Comment

I never got rid of the good stuff from my clothes from when I was slimmer. I want to be able to fit back into it again. Some of the things I had before I got fat were really nice and are sort of classic enough that htey don't look dated or anything. I want to wear them and feel good again.

Comment

I can admit that I want to lose because I want to like how I look. It may be vain, but at least it's a vanity that's benefiting my health too!

Comment

Working...
                              X