Diet Soda Won't Help You Lose Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet Soda Won't Help You Lose Weight

I know we've discussed how you should drink water over soda on this forum before, but I really wanted to draw attention to diet soda specifically. Lots of people choose diet soda as a beverage, because they think that the term "diet" somehow relates to being on a diet or that it is better for them than regular soda in terms of maintaining weight loss goals. The truth is that the word "diet", though a clever marketing ploy, actually refers to speciality diet, such as for people with diabetes who need to watch their sugar levels...which would be why these beverages contain artificial sweeteners and not sugar. Another scary truth is that researchers have found that those who drink diet soda have a greater risk of being overweight. The reason is artificial sweeteners can mess up the body, because your body thinks you are eating sugar when you're not, so you crave more of it, which can lead to eating more food. Drinking diet soda can also increase a person's risk of metabolic syndrome. Bottom line - just avoid diet soda, unless you are someone who is on a speciality diet and you drink it on occasion as a treat. Diet soda will not help you lose weight, it encourages you to gain more.

Darn it! I was really hoping that diet soda would be a better choice over regular soda because it doesn't have the sugar in it. I had no idea it could be worse

Comment

Yes, isn't this awful! I gave up diet soda when I found out the same research.

Comment

I'm ok with this news. I can't stand the taste of that stuff anyway. Bleh

Comment

Ya, diet soda has nothing to do with weight loss and it won’t help you lose weight. It’s actually really bad for your body. I really get a kick out of the people who go to fast food restaurants, get a giant order of fries and a double burger smothered in cheese and bacon and then get a Large diet soda…ya, pal, like that diet soda is really gonna make a difference

Comment

I think the universe is about to implode, SD...I'm actually about to agree with your entire statement. I might have been a bit more articulate about it, but the meaning would have been the same. Diet soda not only doesn't help with weight loss but it can have the opposite impact on your efforts!

Comment

Couldn't agree more with all of the statements made about diet soda. I should have my friend read this who swears by the stuff. She's been on a diet since I've known her (about 7 years). Maybe she might finally realize one of the reasons why she's really not getting anywhere is she's drinking the wrong stuff!

Jadenmiller - Thanks for mentioning that study

enviroTodd and Speddemon - you two agreeing with one another, again!?!? Is it just a coincidence or are you feeling touched by the spirit of the holiday season?

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                I think the universe is about to implode, SD...I'm actually about to agree with your entire statement. I might have been a bit more articulate about it, but the meaning would have been the same. Diet soda not only doesn't help with weight loss but it can have the opposite impact on your efforts!
                Wow, eT...you’re agreeing with me? Pssh, it’s about darn time you came to your senses

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                  Wow, eT...you’re agreeing with me? Pssh, it’s about darn time you came to your senses
                  You guys crack me up

Comment

Originally posted by 2strikes View Post
                    Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                    You guys crack me up
                    Seriously, you two should start your own variety show. :P

Comment

Ya...maybe we should. What do you think eT? Think we could make 'em laugh?

Comment

Working...
                      X