Use smaller plates for your meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use smaller plates for your meals

Believe it or not, but using a small sized plate when you eat, really makes a difference when it comes to getting a handle on controlling your portion sizes, which can lead to easy weight loss over time. We tend to want to fill up our plates because we have grown up thinking that a full plate is one that will satisfy our hunger. Many of today's plates are 12 inches in diameter. Filling a plate that size results in us consuming more food than we actually require. Serve your meals on a plate that is no larger than 9 to 10 inches in diameter. This was what the size of a standard dinner plate was back in the 1960's. By filling a smaller sized plate you can avoid over-eating and still satisfy your mental hunger. (Note: remember that the smaller plate for meals should be a smaller dinner plate, not something as small as a side plate.)

This is a good tip. The only other thing I would add is that filling the smaller plate doesn't mean that you put a heaping portion on it. You simply cover the plate, that's all. Also take your time eating. You are less likely to want to grab seconds because you'll give yourself the time you need to feel full.

Comment

Using smaller plates is a good idea, but it doesn’t always work and you’ve got to be careful that you don’t – as TaraNorth said – pile up a mountain of food on your plate. I tried this smaller plate tactic once and it really was a struggle at first. I found I was still hungry, because there was no fooling my stomach that what I ate was an adequate portion. When you are used to eating more food, your stomach has grown in size. Suddenly reducing the amount you eat by filling up a smaller plate doesn’t magically make you feel full. I’m not saying you shouldn’t try it because it may work. I’m just saying don’t expect this to be as easy as it sounds.

Comment

A good way to avoid this is to use slightly smaller plates instead of choosing to try to use your bread plate instead of your dinner plate. The trick won't work if your dinner visually looks tiny. Use a round plate instead of a square one to give yourself less plate real estate, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
          Use a round plate instead of a square one to give yourself less plate real estate, too.
          Sounds like you're "cutting corners" hahahaha

Comment

This is good advice. I've found this to really work well for me too. And definitely a good idea to use a round plate, Chef Mel.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
              A good way to avoid this is to use slightly smaller plates instead of choosing to try to use your bread plate instead of your dinner plate. The trick won't work if your dinner visually looks tiny. Use a round plate instead of a square one to give yourself less plate real estate, too.
              You are right about that ChefMel. Round plates are way better than square plates! And yes, it is important to make sure that you don’t use a plate that’s too small. That’s not going to trick your brain into thinking your satisfied. Also, be sure to drink a big glass of water with your meal. This will help you to feel more satisfied/full, as well.

Comment

I find that round plates fit better in my dishwasher, too haha.

Comment

Working...
                X