If you eat alone, watch TV!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you eat alone, watch TV!

I know one of the biggest diet tips out there is that you should not watch TV while you eat because you are likely to eat more because you're not paying attention to what you're eating. That's fine and dandy, but when you're single and live alone like me, or - even if you are in a relationship or live with someone else - if you eat by yourself, it is SERIOUSLY boring eating without something else to do. Here's what I do and I find it really helps (though it does take self-control). I only watch a show that is 20 - 30 minutes long and I only eat what is on my plate. I do not get up for seconds. This allows me to eat my food and work on digestion while I'm also giving my brain something to enjoy. When the show is done. I shut off the television and clean up dinner. By this point, my body is already working on digestion and the desire to keep stuffing my face isn't there anymore. Note: if possible try watching something that doesn't have commercials.

That's great that this works for you TaraNorth, but honestly, every time I eat and watch TV I always overeat. I don't pay attention to anything I'm eating. I find that reading a book or the news or something is a good distraction while I eat. If I watched tv with every meal, I'd probably be the size of a house LOL!

Comment

Um...correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the experts tell you NOT to watch TV and eat, because you'll only end up eating more? This tip may sound logical to you, but I think for the most of us if we followed your tip, TaraNorth, we'd end up blowing our weight loss goals.Personally, when I'm watching TV I have a hard time not eating. I constantly want to eat. Sorry, I don't agree.

Comment

While I can’t agree with you that watching TV and eating is a good idea, I can admit I’m jealous that you’ve managed to do what most of us can’t and it works for you.

However, for the rest of you who are like me and lack self-control when it comes to eating in front of the television – don’t follow this tip, it won’t work. In order to control what you eat, you need to be aware of what you are eating. TV sucks away all awareness. If you’re eating by yourself, listen to music or some other form of audio, read something, or find some other light distraction that won’t pull you away from reality and make you a food-eating zombie.

Comment

I'm of two minds about this one. If i have a lot of food on my plate, I will finish it (no matter how much there is) as long as I'm sitting in front of the TV. So I think that this has to be a combined strategy.

You need to choose healthy (diet friendly) foods and give yourself a small portion instead of a huge plate full. If you need to eat more, force yourself to get up and consciously make that decision instead of just robotically eating it all because you're not paying attention. Also, I find that if I eat using a smaller fork/spoon or even chopsticks while I watch TV it will take longer to eat so I will be less likely to get up for a second helping.

TV is helpful because a lot of diet foods are really bland or boring. I don't really pay attention to that as long as my eyes are glued to the screen.

Comment

I tried this last night just to see how much I would eat. I put the same amount on my plate as I usually do and i sat down in front of a half hour TV show that I really like. What I found was that I not only finished what was on my plate, but because there was still time left on the show, I was inclined to get more...hmmmm

Comment

I always watch tv when I eat. It's too boring otherwise!

Comment

It is interesting to see all of the responses. I guess it work form some but not for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X