Does protein fill you up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does protein fill you up?

I’ve been trying ot eat more protein because it is supposed to fill you up and make you feel less hungry. But whether I eat a little protein enhanced snack or a drink one of those shakes, I don’t seem to feel any more full than I would if I ate cereal or something else that is high in carbs. Is the protein/fullness thing a myth or does it actually make a difference?

I personally think it's a myth brightstar. I will say that after I eat protein I do feel like I have more energy and I'm definitely less sluggish both mentally and physically, but I don't find that it keeps me fuller longer.

Comment

I've heard that both protein and fiber are more filling than carbs. I definitely find I feel fuller after consuming fiber, especially soluble fiber (like oatmeal, lentils, apples, etc.) These are fibers that absorb water and stay in your stomach for longer and are slower to digest, which helps you to feel fuller for longer. As for protein, I find that it does give me energy and as long as I don't burn that energy too quickly I feel satisfied for longer in the hunger department.

Comment

THANK you Charlotte and JennyR. Charlotte, you're right! Eating protein does make me feel less sluggish. I don't feel more full but I don't slow down like I do when I eat other things. JennyR, you're right, fiber is filling. I didn't think of it that way. So I guess mixing lean protein and high fiber could be the best balance!

Comment

I find that protein solid food does fill me up, but protein shakes and beverages don't

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
            I find that protein solid food does fill me up, but protein shakes and beverages don't

I agree, I think protein shakes are kind of a waste. I also find greater benefit from eating solid protein from natural sources.

Comment

Working...
            X