Coconut oil - the verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut oil - the verdict

Alright, I am getting tired of all of the contradictory information that I'm finding about coconut oil. Is it or is it not healthy and is it or is it good for weight loss. Does anybody know?

It IS good for you. You just have to use it in very small amounts. Think about a tablespoon to a maximum of 2 per day. It has medium length chains of fats instead of the long chains that are bad for you. These are good for you and they are good for weight loss as long as you don't overdo it.

Comment

That's kind of cool. Is it as good for you as olive oil? If you already use olive oil in a day does that mean that you shouldn't use coconut oil? Where do you use coconut oil in cooking?

Comment

KittyKatt - I use coconut oil in a variety of recipes. My favorite is probably an Indian Vegetable Curry. I also tend to use it when I make omelets. Just make sure that if you are considering using it make sure what you pick up is edible coconut oil and not the stuff that is used for hair and skin products. Also prepare yourself for a different taste to your dishes. Coconut oil does have flavor. Use it in small amounts. Do not drown your food it in In terms of how good it is for you. I believe it actually helps to speed up your metabolism, which is great for weight loss. It also helps boost your immune system, and lowers the bad (LDL) cholesterol.

Comment

This is great to know. Thanks for sharing everyone. I always love being able to try healthy alternatives and a little something different

Comment

Originally posted by MeSarah View Post
            KittyKatt - I use coconut oil in a variety of recipes. My favorite is probably an Indian Vegetable Curry. I also tend to use it when I make omelets. Just make sure that if you are considering using it make sure what you pick up is edible coconut oil and not the stuff that is used for hair and skin products. Also prepare yourself for a different taste to your dishes. Coconut oil does have flavor. Use it in small amounts. Do not drown your food it in In terms of how good it is for you. I believe it actually helps to speed up your metabolism, which is great for weight loss. It also helps boost your immune system, and lowers the bad (LDL) cholesterol.
            This is really interesting. It's funny how things that are seen as bad for so long can suddenly have people singing a different tune. Science "facts" are temporary sometimes.

Comment

Mmm, MeSarah, you're making me crave veggie curry!

Comment

Where can you purchase coconut oil? My local grocery store doesn't carry it (at least not that I've seen)

Comment

Originally posted by TammyBear View Post
                  Mmm, MeSarah, you're making me crave veggie curry!
                  Yes, it's very good lol. I craved it after I wrote the post lol.

JokerzWild - If your local grocery story doesn't carry it, try one of the bigger grocery store chains (if that's not your local one). You can also try ethnic food stores, such as those that specialize in Chinese and/or Indian food, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X