No more elevators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more elevators

I’ve just decided that the best way to help myself to lose weight without having to cut out any more calories is to eliminate all use of elevators and escalators, too. If the stairs are accessible in some way without setting off some sort of security alarm (don’t get me started!), then I will take the stairs, even if I have to go up to the 16th floor in a building. This includes both going up and down the stairs. Going down stairs gives a surprising amount of exercise! At least it’s walking and not just standing around in a box on a cable! I’m hoping that by talking about it more, then more people will start to use the stairs like I am. Then the stairwells won’t be so empty and scary, too haha.

Good thinking. More of us should do this!

Comment

A good tip Bethie. I give you credit for walking up 16 floors! I think I could do it as a form of exercise, but not everyday, because walking up that many stairs would make me super sweaty and it's serious knee breaker for me. That said, I completely agree that stairs are a great way to move instead of just standing still getting place to place. It's the same idea as parking far away and walking instead of parking right at the door.

Comment

I always take the stairs too. Partly because I have a serious phobia of elevators, but at least it's one irrational fear I have that's better for me weight/health wise LOL

Comment

I'm glad that works for you, but I gotta say I couldn't climb that many stairs. I'll use the stairs only when the elevator is out of commission. I can admit it, I love elevators.

Comment

I think that elevators have made us perpetually lazy. They are great for people who are not capable of doing the walk, for people who would have to climb a 15 story building (or higher!) or that have a lot of cargo to bring with them, but I see perfectly healthy people using them to climb one floor. For the time it takes to wait for the elevator, rise to the next floor and wait for the doors to open, I could have walked up the stairs easily.

Comment

It's not just a matter of laziness. It's time. I work in an office building. I can't spend the time going up and down multiple flights of stairs when it could take me a few seconds on the elevator.

Comment

It's not really a "never" thing. If you have the choice and opportunity, take the stairs, that's all

Comment

Ya, I gotta say that I’m an elevators person. If it’s a couple of floors I sometimes take the stairs because it really is faster than waiting for the elevator, but I won’t be walking up or down 16 flights unless it’s for charity, a fire alarm, or some other emergency.

Comment

You can climb escalators, but a lot of the times, elevators are really the only way to get there. The stairs are for emergency use only.

Comment

Working...
                    X