How to eat slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to eat slowly

I've heard that eating slowly can help you feel fuller and eat less, but I've always vacuumed up my food since I was a kid LOL. Now that I'm eating more than I should (I'm finding a lot of Joy in food since the pandemic) I really want to slow down at meal time. Any suggestions?

Use chopsticks! You'll eat slower and take smaller bites, too. Don't allow yourself to "refill" until you've swallowed the last bite.

Comment

Use toddler forks and spoons! They don't hold much. Just treat them like you would your usual ones. That way you won't be able to get as much at a time.

Comment

I also think chopsticks is a great idea! I would also recommend filling a smaller plate, instead of a normal dinner plate, so it tricks your mind into thinking there is more and not less, even though you haven't actually increased your portion. Also, drink a glass of water before meals and snacks. It does help!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony1968 View Post
          I also think chopsticks is a great idea! I would also recommend filling a smaller plate, instead of a normal dinner plate, so it tricks your mind into thinking there is more and not less, even though you haven't actually increased your portion. Also, drink a glass of water before meals and snacks. It does help!
          I agree about the smaller plate but don't just use a side plate, like a salad plate or whatever those are called. Get a dinner plate, but a smaller one. The kind they used to have a few decades ago before we got way bigger plates. That way, it won't look like you're eating from a smaller plate even though you are. Eating from a side plate, you'll just want to refill it because you'll consciously know you're not using a full sized dish. Also, use a full sized fork, not a salad fork, Research shows that smaller plates but bigger forks are more effective for some reason. Also, red plates make people eat less, in case you have a color choice.

Comment

These are all such great tips! Thank you so much! I'm going to put them into practice

Comment

Don't forget to eat mindfully. Eat your meal as an activity in itself. Don't do it in front of a screen watching video or something like that. Take the time to pay attention to what you're eating. You'll experience your meal more, will be more satisfied by it and will be more likely to detect when it's time to stop instead of mindlessly eating more.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                Don't forget to eat mindfully. Eat your meal as an activity in itself. Don't do it in front of a screen watching video or something like that. Take the time to pay attention to what you're eating. You'll experience your meal more, will be more satisfied by it and will be more likely to detect when it's time to stop instead of mindlessly eating more.
                I know that's good advice, but I tend to eat a lot of dinners on my own. I'm completely guilty of eating while watching something. It's just so boring and kinda depressing otherwise. I like the distraction. I know it's not good for me, but I have no idea how to eat otherwise. I find the whole eating process on it's own quite boring LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

I know that's good advice, but I tend to eat a lot of dinners on my own. I'm completely guilty of eating while watching something. It's just so boring and kinda depressing otherwise. I like the distraction. I know it's not good for me, but I have no idea how to eat otherwise. I find the whole eating process on it's own quite boring LOL.
                  I do the same! If I'm alone, I eat either with a show on or I read. Either way, I'm not focused on my food. I guess I focus on the first couple of bites, but then I just go into robot mode

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post

I do the same! If I'm alone, I eat either with a show on or I read. Either way, I'm not focused on my food. I guess I focus on the first couple of bites, but then I just go into robot mode
                    Guilty of the same. I mean, even if I were to sit at a table and have absolutely nothing, but let's say classical music playing, my mind would still wander away from what I'm eating. I never think about my food after the first couple of bites...does anyone?? I mean, what would you think about? The flavor and then chewing, chewing, swallow? I think that would make me absolutely mental LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony1968 View Post

Guilty of the same. I mean, even if I were to sit at a table and have absolutely nothing, but let's say classical music playing, my mind would still wander away from what I'm eating. I never think about my food after the first couple of bites...does anyone?? I mean, what would you think about? The flavor and then chewing, chewing, swallow? I think that would make me absolutely mental LOL!
                      Exactly. I think I'd need to make tiny portions of 12 different dishes per meal if I was interested in paying attention to every bite I eat. Not happening. Food just isn't that interesting after the first couple of bites.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post

Exactly. I think I'd need to make tiny portions of 12 different dishes per meal if I was interested in paying attention to every bite I eat. Not happening. Food just isn't that interesting after the first couple of bites.
                        HAHHAHA so true! Oh my gosh the idea of having 12 different portions was such a funny mental image LOL LOL

Comment

Thinking about it, you're right. That's so funny. My mind would definitely wander. I must not be meant to be mindful about food.

Comment

I'm so glad it's not just me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

I'm so glad it's not just me!!!
                              Not at all, me, too! I wonder if it's most people. Or if it's cultural or something. Are Americans fast eaters? Are we racing chewers?

Comment

Working...
                              X